Data Engineer, General Application at Planet Labs
United States, Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Come and help us to build our customer platform and make an impact on Earth!
Planet monitors the Earth by observing the entire Earth everyday. The market for these insights is new and therefore requires engineering that embraces change as we establish product market fit. Customer platform engineers are focused on continuously improving the value we deliver to customers, increasing the market for the earth observation industry.
As a data engineer, you will contribute to building an online data platform that can serve information at scale to our customers. You will also help deliver insights to customers about their platform use and power the personalization of the customer and partner ecosystem.
In this role, you will be challenged to: build and utilize scalable data infrastructure to serve customer needs, contribute a sharp product and business sense to the team, and think big yet deliver value incrementally.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Work as an integral member of a cross-functional team focused on improving the customer/developer experience. For example:
- Building an orchestration layer for batch ETL to take raw data and convert it to useful information
- Working cross-functionally to standardize events and logs and build a coherent data warehouse
- Optimize distributed data processing frameworks to ensure efficient and fast computation of geospatial data
- Build real-time data pipelines to help customers understand the cost of their data purchases as a part of a checkout process.
- You will be a subject matter expert that will help your team develop data products end-to-end
- Participate in an on-call rotation to ensure our systems remain up 24/7
Senior applicants will:
- Develop a vision and roadmap to improve our engineering stack
- Help to sequence and de-risk projects to ensure timely delivery of value
- Collaborate with product and other cross-functional stakeholders to co-create an impactful customer experience.
What You Bring:
- Experience working with large scale data:
- Writing batch and streaming data pipelines
- Orchestrating data processing jobs via ETL
- Dealing with schema evolution, data validation, and pipeline robustness
- Experience in Python and SQL
- Building infrastructure in a cloud environment
- Leveraging the capabilities of GCP, AWS, or Azure cloud platforms
- Utilizing the infrastructure-as-code paradigm with tools such as Terraform
- Experience working in cross-functional teams that put customer requirements first
- Adaptability and openness to changes and challenges
- A positive, can-do attitude to work
Senior applicants will also have:
- Clear communication skills that resonate with engineers, cross functional stakeholders, and executives
- A track record of mentorship and growing other engineers
- Deep experience in building data platforms and infrastructure with a seasoned understanding of design tradeoffs
- A track record of incrementally delivering engineering solutions that have real customer impact
- An excellent understanding of developer experience as it relates to data, and a strong desire to build an easy-to-use platform by all engineers
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Data orchestration systems such as Airflow, Google Workflows, etc.
- Spark, Apache Beam, and other distributed data processing frameworks
- Geospatial data and algorithm domains
- Logging infrastructure and event processing pipelines
- Instrumenting observability and cost monitoring into data infrastructure
- Building beautiful APIs for developer access to the data platform
- Agile software development methods
- Microservice architecture
- Google Cloud Platform
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse and inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within and outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups and the opportunity to be part of a community
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment and wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Contributions to Company Pension scheme
- Enjoy unique offers and discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Applications are now closed