Director, Finance at Aperio Philanthropy
$90,000 - $120,000/year
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Aperio Philanthropy is a fundraising consulting firm that partners with nonprofits to realize their fundraising potential. We provide hands-on support that generates sustainable revenue growth and enables organizations to thrive.
Aperio was created for fundraisers by fundraisers. Every member of our team has successfully raised funds at leading nonprofits nationwide. With on-the-ground experience, we understand that the barrier to growth is rarely knowing what to do but rather how to get it done among competing priorities.
To simplify the path to growth, we’ve distilled proven approaches into a clear roadmap that any nonprofit can follow. Our services accelerate progress along that roadmap—unlocking new revenue at every step. We’re savvy strategists, but more importantly, we go beyond great ideas and work alongside fundraising teams to implement them.
The result is new, sustainable revenue for the missions that are changing our world.
About Our Team:
Every member of our team was drawn to Aperio by a craving to see nonprofits thrive—to escape the toxic ‘survival mode’ that holds back so many important missions and harms clients, staff, volunteers, and donors alike. We believe that nonprofits are vital to our society—that to create thriving communities, we need thriving nonprofits.
We believe that for any community, organization, or company to thrive, every individual in the community must have the space, resources, and support to thrive. For that reason, we work intentionally every day to create an environment with ample space for creativity, exploration, professional growth, and personal expression. We actively invest in anti-racism and anti-discrimination in our own company and our sector.
Our culture is relentlessly professional and rigorous, but simultaneously open and warm. We are collaborative, give each other honest feedback, and don’t micromanage each other. We engage each other, our clients, and our community members as people first, ensuring that we are supporting each other’s whole selves, not just the work at hand.
We value the combined power of:
We believe that with a clear goal, a fresh set of eyes, a little bit of organization, and an infusion of confidence, every organization can be propelled to a new level of impact
You are inspired by what you’ve just read and driven to contribute what you’ve learned from on-the-ground fundraising to our vision of seeing nonprofits thrive. You believe that fundraising changes the lives of all involved—those served by the mission, the donors who fuel the work, and volunteers and staff.
You are adept at understanding people’s personal needs and motivations and uncovering alignment with your own objectives. You create win-win partnerships that leave people more confident and more capable of impact. You are ambitious on behalf of important causes, with a genuine desire to change the world.
You are authentic in your interactions with others. You build trust easily, communicate clearly, listen actively, ask good questions, and inspire loyalty. You maintain the highest standards of integrity at every step of the way.
About the Role:
The Director, Finance develops and implements strategies for financial management of Aperio. The Director collaborates closely with the Chief of Staff, the senior leadership team, and vendors to develop strategies for growth, efficiency, and sustainability. The Director oversees all financial planning, budgeting, variance accounting, reconciliations, and forecasting. Day-to-day, the Director oversees revenue management, expense & cash flow management, and payroll & HR administration. As a leadership role in our growing firm, the Director will be expected to collaborate effectively and, in the future, manage direct reports. The Director serves as the face of Aperio to clients, partners, and vendors and ‘lives out’ our core values in all interactions.
Strategy & planning
The Director serves as the day-to-day partner to the Chief of Staff in managing the business to achievement of its growth plan.
- Leads and contributes to growth planning and the development of strategic initiatives
- Creates and implements project plans achieve growth goals and strategic objectives
- Oversees the financial management of the organization, including FP&A, accounting, bookkeeping, and cash flow management
- Identify, analyze, and interpret risks to the financial health and sustainability of the organization
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports for the senior leadership team
- Prepare and present periodic updates to the full staff, in collaboration with the Chief of Staff
- Oversee finance-related vendor relationships, driving optimal value from partnerships
- Oversee and project-manage capacity-building projects, including updates needed each fiscal year
- Drive greater integration of technology and automation into financial management
- Oversee annual budgeting process, in collaboration with the Chief of Staff and integrating ideas/feedback from the senior leadership team
- Oversee month-close process, in collaboration with the accountant/bookkeeper
The Director oversees revenue management, forecasting, and accounts receivables end-to-end, managing day-to-day workflows and continually building financial health, increasing efficiency, and improving the client experience.
- Develop strategies and practices that optimize revenue management, forecasting, and accounts receivable, in alignment with business priorities and cash flow needs
- Maintain line-of-sight into the revenue pipeline, collaborating with the business development team to develop and refine forward-looking forecasts
- Operationalize strategic and efficient invoicing and revenue collection, in collaboration with accountant/bookkeeper
- Invoice clients, ensuring accuracy and alignment with contract and scopes of work
- Serve as the face of Aperio to clients, answering questions and overseeing the collection process to ensure on-time payments
- Reconcile incoming payments to invoices in QuickBooks
Expense & cash flow management
The Director oversees expense and cash-flow management, forecasting, and accounts payable end-to-end, managing day-to-day workflows and continually building financial health, increasing efficiency, and improving the client experience.
- Develop strategies and practices that optimize expense management, forecasting, and accounts payable, in alignment with business priorities and cash flow needs
- Maintain line-of-sight into the expense projections, collaborating with the Operations team and senior leadership to develop and refine forward-looking forecasts
- Plan and oversee major investments, in collaboration with the Chief of Staff
- Operationalize strategic and efficient expense management and accounts payable, in collaboration with accountant/bookkeeper
- Pay vendors, ensuring accuracy and alignment with contract and scopes of work; collaborate with the Strategic Services team to manage relationships with freelancers
- Serve as the face of Aperio to vendors, answering questions and overseeing on-time payments
- Oversee the work of the accountant/bookkeeper in reconciling expenses in Quickbooks
- Process expense reports from staff
Payroll & HR administration
The Director serves as the liaison to Aperio’s Professional Employment Organization (PEO) that administers our human resources. The Director oversees all technical aspects of the relationship, including: payroll, benefits administration, and timekeeping.
- Develop strategies and practices that optimize payroll and HR administration
- Documents processes in clear and concise guides that anyone on the team can follow; cross-trains colleagues to ensure organizational resilience
- Maintains subject-matter expertise in the PEO’s offerings and ways Aperio can optimize value
- Builds productive working relationships with PEO points of contact
- Runs payroll
- Oversee timekeeping systems and data
- Oversees annual benefits enrollment
- Oversees technical components of employee onboarding and offboarding with the PEO, ensuring full compliance with HR regulations and Aperio’s employee handbook/policies
- Contribute to the upkeep of HR resources, in collaboration with HR staff, such as the employee handbook, policies, and trainings
As a member of the Aperio team, the Director participates in community-building and thought leadership. The Director achieves all metrics and goals set forth for contributions to business development, drawing on peers and available resources.
- Conducts networking meetings with nonprofit leaders, fundraisers, and/or referral sources each month, achieving monthly metrics
- Contributes blogs, videos, and ideas to Aperio’s website periodically
- Participates in Aperio-hosted and fundraising industry events
The Director, Client Services serves as a leader in the nonprofit community, inspiring and supporting nonprofits to realize their full fundraising potential. About 80% of the Director’s time is spent supporting a portfolio of clients, in partnership with other Aperio team members. About 20% of time is spent on business development, serving as a thought leader in the community and proactively building relationships with a portfolio of prospective clients, referral sources, and other nonprofit leaders and fundraisers.
- At least 8 years’ experience in a professional environment, including at least 5 years’ experience in financial planning & analysis and/or accounting
- Expertise in accounting and bookkeeping principles
- Advanced financial planning and analysis capabilities
- Demonstrated track record of managing finances toward organizational health and growth
- Superb analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects to successful outcomes
- Strong relationship management, interpersonal, and communication (written and oral) skills
- Tech savvy across multiple platforms, including MS Office, cloud-based systems, donor databases & CRM systems (e.g., Salesforce, NXT, Raiser’s Edge), etc.
- Self-starter with ability to complete tasks with minimal direction and supervision
- Exceptional detail orientation
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability
- Entrepreneurial style
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ability to travel, as needed
This role combines remote work-from-home and on-site support requirements, which can vary by project from no onsite support to daily support.
To facilitate work-from-home, Aperio provides essential technology equipment and:
- A $250 home office set-up stipend at 90 days
- A monthly mobile phone reimbursement of $75 per month
Aperio is pleased to offer competitive compensation and benefits, as well as accelerated career development opportunities.
Base compensation for this role is $90,000 - $120,000 commensurate with experience in financial strategy, planning & analysis, and accounting. Bonus and promotion opportunities available.
- Flexible scheduling
- Paid time off (PTO) starting at 20 days per year
- 10-15 holiday days per year, including closure over the year-end holidays
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K with company matching of 100% of employee contributions up to the first 3% of pay and then 50% of employee contributions on the next 2% of pay
Applications are now closed