Director of Product Engineering at Brightwheel
Austin, San Francisco, Denver, or Remote (US only)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $100 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a highly distributed team supporting fully remote employees across every time zone in the US. We also have hubs in Austin, Denver, and San Francisco. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who you are
Brightwheel is seeking an experienced Engineering Director to lead multiple full-stack software development teams. These teams will not only improve existing product lines but also launch brand new products to transform early education. The ideal candidate will be a great people leader, who is exceptional at hiring, developing and growing teams while also working cross-functionally to deliver against ambitious product development goals.
What You’ll Do
- Lead multiple software engineering teams to develop existing product lines and bring new products to market.
- Own the technical vision, technology strategy, architecture, development, testing and ultimately operation for a set of products.
- Build an inclusive and diverse team by hiring software engineers and managers at all levels, including Principal Engineers and Senior Managers. Work closely with the Recruiting team to drive systemic improvements to the hiring engine.
- Grow and develop the team by nurturing and coaching engineers as well as managers at all levels, as well as putting in places systems and processes for employee development and growth
- Drive process improvements to increase product velocity while simultaneously raising the bar for quality and operational excellence.
- Work closely with the Product and Design team to develop product strategy, goals and roadmaps
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities
- Must have experience managing engineering organizations of 30+ employees with multiple teams
- Must have significant experience hiring at all levels for both individual contributor and manager roles within Engineering
- Must have experience in architecting complex, fault tolerant, high scale distributed systems as well as front-end web applications
- Should enjoy building and operating a set of highly scalable cloud services with a customer-centric, relentless focus on product velocity, operational excellence and engineering excellence
- Must have strong technical depth and can participate in as well as influence technical architecture and design discussions
- Must have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely in large group settings as well as to executives
- Must have the ability to write detailed, data-driven documents to analyze trade-offs and present recommendations for important, strategic decisions
- Must have experience dealing with ambiguity, and is comfortable bringing clarity to high-level ambiguous and ambitious goals.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
Brightwheel offers a competitive compensation package (base salary, equity and benefits) with a strong emphasis on equity-based compensation (ownership in brightwheel). For cash compensation, brightwheel sets standard ranges for all roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In alignment with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the annual cash compensation for this role in Colorado is targeted at $215K-289K. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above. If you are applying from a different location and have questions on the compensation band for your region, please ask your recruiter.
Our benefits package includes premium medical, dental, and vision benefits, generous paid parental leave, a flexible paid time off policy, a monthly wellness and productivity stipend, and a Learning & Development stipend.
Brightwheel is proud to celebrate diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Applications are now closed