Energy Operations Research Engineer (Eng / Sr Eng) at Equilibrium Energy
San Francisco, Boston, London, or Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
At Equilibrium, we are building a company where collaborative and cross-functional innovation across deeply integrated and cohesive product and engineering teams drives superior product vision, design, and execution. We are looking for an Energy Operations Research Engineer / Senior Energy Operations Research Engineer who shares our vision that an energy company can be built by leveraging deep domain expertise alongside a commitment to data, ML, AI, and automated workflows to act upon data-driven insights autonomously.
As the Senior Energy Operations Research Engineer, you will provide technical assistance and partner with cross-functional teams to design, develop, and deliver energy operations research capabilities that underpin the company’s future successes in autonomous trading and asset optimization.
- Develop and maintain economic optimization models that drive the company valuation of market participation in global wholesale electricity markets
- Formulate and develop optimization models for market participation and optimal bidding strategy of the company portfolio in global electricity markets
- Conceptualize, formulate and develop bidding modules to incorporate multi-use applications (i.e., customer, portfolio, grid, and market use cases) into the company economic optimization platform
- Develop risk mitigation strategies and turn them into quantitative optimization model features for market transactions.
- Collaborate with the Data Science team to define requirements for generating probabilistic Energy, Ancillary Service, and other electricity market price forecasts.
- Work with Software Engineering, Product, and Data Science teams to design, deploy, monitor, and improve optimization and bidding model performance.
- Contribute to research projects that advance state-of-the-art for energy management technologies and improve end-to-end trading operations.
- Passion for clean energy and mitigating climate change!
- BA/BS/Master's degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Power System Modelings) or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of work experience in the energy industry
- Development experience in Python and databases (e.g., SQL)
- Knowledge of optimization techniques
- Ph.D. degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Power System Modeling)
- 4 years of relevant work experience, including expertise with statistical data analysis such as linear models, multivariate analysis, stochastic models, and sampling methods.
- Advanced proficiency in Python, Golang, and databases (e.g., SQL)
- Experience in High-Performance Computing platforms
- Demonstrated experience with developing and releasing operational optimization models in the electricity and energy domain
- Experience with optimization modeling packages and solvers
- Familiarity with optimization techniques (e.g., stochastic optimization, robust optimization, etc.)
- Proactive communicator who can translate product design specs into organized code.
- Experience communicating the results of analyses with product, engineering, and leadership teams to influence product and engineering strategy.
- Demonstrated proactivity and self-direction. Willingness to teach as well as learn.
- Excellent team collaboration skills and collaboration-first mentality.
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Applications are now closed