Engineering Manager - Hosted Grafana (Remote, NASA or EMEA) at Grafana Labs
EMEA, United States (Remote)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
This is a remote position and we're considering candidates in the US, UK, Sweden, Germany, France, Austria, and the Netherlands.
About the role:
This is a remote opportunity and we would be interested in applications in EMEA and Americas time zones.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us grow and develop our Hosted Grafana Engineering team in the Grafana Platform group. The Grafana Platform group works on the core of Grafana to provide a high quality, secure and scalable platform for the rest of the company and our community to build on.
Our managers take an active role in creating a productive environment for our engineers; be it through removing blockers and impediments, facilitating cross-team collaboration and understanding, or by aiding the team in helping themselves by constantly improving and refining their working practices. You’ll be responsible for managing a team of distributed engineers working across a variety of systems and helping them to perform at their best.
The Hosted Grafana team is responsible for building a more scalable Grafana as well as running the Grafana service on Grafana Cloud. They are a hybrid team with an engineering and SRE skillset who work on developing Grafana and the tooling for running the Grafana service on Kubernetes. They work closely with the teams that deploy features to Grafana Cloud but also collaborate with the teams that work on OSS and Enterprise Grafana. When a major new feature or service is deployed on Grafana Cloud then the Hosted Grafana team guides them on the journey to making it cloud ready. Grafana itself is going through a major refactor to add multi-tenant features for Grafana Cloud (Grafana was originally designed to run on one server for one company) and here the Hosted Grafana team are heavily involved in the design and engineering work. Another major project the team is involved in is enabling every Grafana team to continuously deploy on a daily basis to the Grafana service on Grafana Cloud.
- The core focus of the role is on people management but you should have enough technical skills/understanding of our stack to manage a highly technical team/product.
- You will act as project manager as well as working with product owners to ensure the product roadmap is defined and up-to-date
- You have a strong software engineering background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations and challenging teams to arrive at strong technical decisions themselves
- You will be comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision making, be it technical or product focussed
- While you’re great with people and adept at managing relationships, you still keep up-to-date with the latest technical trends and shifts in order to maintain and enhance your understanding of the challenges your teams face
- Ideally you will have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience and have worked as a Software Engineer before moving into Management
NIce to haves
- We work with Go, Python and/or C/C++ for back-end development.
- You will have familiarity with using and building RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with Git, Linux, Prometheus, Graphite, Influxdb and/or Elasticsearch would all be a strong advantage
- Familiarity with public Cloud and/or Kubernetes would be a strong advantage
What a typical EM’s day-to-day at Grafana Labs looks like:
- Thrive: We have regular and frequent 1:1s to ensure that our direct reports are motivated, happy, and engaged.
- We also coach, mentor, and advise. Upwards, sideways, and every-which-ways.
- Progress over Perfection: We provide continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value, while trying to maintain a high standard.
- Seeking Diverse Perspectives: Gathering a range of opinions from both engineers and management to define upcoming features, contributing to design documents, and attending and contributing to open discussions.
- This is also reflected in maintaining headcount-- we spend quite a lot of our time reaching out to URM’s to try and diversify the voices here in Grafana, every day. We work with our PeopleOps team closely to accomplish this.
- Say:Do Ratio: We ensure features are well-defined and ready for development, and then set the wheels in motion to make sure they are delivered.
- Respectfully empowered to start up new initiatives, contribute to ongoing ones, and encourage and nurture others to do the same.
- OSS is in our DNA, and as such working with the community is something that happens regularly for us. We default to transparency and try to be as open with everyone.
- You'll work closely with the Edge tech lead Ryan, our platform leads Natalia and Jess, your manager David, as well as our long-time Grafanistas Torkel and Daniel.
Applications are now closed