Engineering Manager at Overstory
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on in tech. If you want to have a real impact, come join our talented, passionate team. Our company is based in Amsterdam but we work remotely, with people living all over Western Europe and in the U.S.
Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages. We just raised a round of funding, led by Moxxie Ventures and Capital T. Other investors include: Pale Blue Dot, Omidyar Technology Ventures, Toba Capital, Overwater Ventures, Climate Capital and Techstars. With a dozen paying clients, we have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet.
We are a remote-first company: we have an office in Amsterdam, but our team is distributed across Europe (Amsterdam, Lisbon, London, Milan, The Hague). Ideally, you’re in a time zone +/- 1 hour from CET.
As we are growing our technology team, we are hiring for our first Engineering Manager. You will manage 5-6 folks from the tech team, guiding them in their careers, mentoring, coaching, sponsoring them, and giving them feedback. Reporting to the VP Technology Alexey, you will be working closely with him on planning the work of Overstory’s tech team, balancing business requirements, customers’ needs, and the needs of the tech team. You will observe team processes and work with the teams to adjust them as needed to help us deliver. As we scale up our efforts and grow the team, you will work with the tech leadership on creating and executing the hiring plan.
- Experience managing engineers in a product-led startup environment.
- Experience working in an agile environment.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills.
- Understanding of Data Science and Machine Learning principles.
- Experience working in a B2B environment.
- You are empathetic.
- You practice servant leadership.
- You know how to solve problems with multiple stakeholders and multiple inputs.
- You don’t have to have a technical background, but you should be technical enough to understand the work of Overstory’s tech team.
About our team
We’re a group of 19 people from all over the world (Netherlands, Portugal, Italy, US, France, Russia, Australia). We’re all united behind a big vision to help humanity and the planet. We all work remotely, and occasionally (optionally!) meet for in-person collaboration.
What you get
- Generous stock options and competitive salary.
- To be a part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources, and reverses climate change.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- The chance to build something from scratch and put your mark on it. Creating a product that solves real climate-related problems — one that is fast and a joy to use — is the exciting opportunity.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance, and respect.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the six people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 38% of the overall team identifies as female and 25% of the team are people of color. Eight nationalities are represented in our team, and we speak eight languages: English, Dutch, French, Italian, Indonesian, Portuguese, Cantonese and Russian.
Applications are now closed