Financial Planning & Analysis Manager at Donors Choose
New York City or Remote in CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, or WI
$66,000 - $77,000/year
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a teacher in need, moving us closer to a nation where students in every community have the tools and experiences they need for a great education.
Since 2000, more than 5 million people and partners have contributed $1 billion to support 2 million teacher requests for classroom resources and experiences. Projects range from art supplies to build the set for a school musical, to books and puzzles that affirm students’ identities, to bird seed for an at-home science project. We proudly serve all US public schools, public charter schools, and Head Start centers, and we combat systemic inequity by driving a majority of donations to schools that have been historically underfunded due to economic and racial inequity.
DonorsChoose has been recognized as a best place to work by GOOD Magazine and the Nonprofit Times, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Our dedicated team works from across the United States bring classroom dreams to life.
About The Role
The Finance team is responsible for ensuring the overall financial health of DonorsChoose. We work cross-functionally to support millions of revenue and purchase transactions annually, in addition to supporting traditional operational finance activities. Specific areas of responsibility for the Finance team include forecasting/budgeting, management reporting, accounting, financial operations (AR/AP), treasury & investments, and financial data analytics.
With a focus on continuous improvement, technology, and adopting scalable solutions, we serve internal and external customers alike. We are seeking an energetic and creative team member who will thrive in our highly-collaborative work environment.
About The Team
DonorsChoose is seeking a strategic, collaborative FP&A Manager where you will manage our budgeting and forecasting process, improve the usage of our financial planning technology, build actionable reporting/dashboards, and provide value-add analysis and recommendations. As part of the Finance team, you will report to the VP, Finance & Accounting and partner with key leaders around the entire organization. We'll be excited to hear your recommendations on process improvements and overall operational performance. We are looking for candidates who have a deep financial planning and modeling experience – who are able to analyze financial data, create financial models, generate financial forecasts and play a supporting role in driving key business decisions.
Budget & Forecast Management:
- Manage the development, preparation, and presentation of the annual budget by working with leaders across the entire organization
- Build a reforecast process, modeled on the budget process, to update org-wide financial projections
- Collaborate with the Accounting team to maintain an up-to-date version of the Chart of Accounts
- Assist in quantifying headcount requirements and assessing headcount changes in collaboration with the People Ops team
- Serve as a resource for cost research and planning for budget owners from the Procurement, IT, People Operations, Engineering, Operations, and Marketing teams.
Business Analysis & Modeling:
- Work with the Impact Team leads to establish and track against 1-3 year future revenue targets
- Develop financial models using various data sets to help drive key business decisions on strategic initiatives & investments for the organization
- Assist with creating financial presentations for board meetings and other stakeholders
- Create and maintain dashboards addressing key trends and insights
Financial Planning Technology Oversight:
- Identify improvement opportunities for the Finance team and budget owners to better leverage the functionality in the current financial planning software (Adaptive Insights)
- Drive automation and efficiency through planning system enhancements and operational improvements
- Advocate for and lead integration of data feeds into financial planning system from other org systems like Intacct, Salesforce, Looker, and our in-house developed system
- You have 4+ years of related work experience in FP&A, Strategic Finance, or another discipline responsible for financial forecasts and analysis
- You can bring together information from many sources to draw conclusions and make recommendations. You understand that you won’t always have perfect information, and are comfortable gathering alternative evidence to support a position
- You excel at building strong relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels of an organization
- You are tech-savvy and comfortable embracing new systems and tools
- You love to think of ways to make a process easier and user-friendly
- You are a highly effective communicator who can easily break down complex data and information
- You care deeply about education and share our organization’s commitment to racial and economic equity in America’s public schools.
- You have experience working with Adaptive Insights or another cloud-based financial planning software
- You are comfortable with intermediate Excel functions (pivot tables, lookup functions, graphs/tables)
Compensation and Benefits
Our compensation philosophy ensures that we are both externally competitive with tech-forward nonprofits of a similar size and internally fair in our pay practices. The following ranges represent the target offer range given the scope and experience expectations for this role.
- The hiring salary range for this role is $66,000 - $77,000
- We have a hiring salary range of $73,000 - $85,000 for specific higher cost of labor locations, which include New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
Once employees are hired, the salary range for their role increases to ensure that employees are able to receive performance-based raises and grow in their role.
We are open to a variety of experiences, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description as posted. If that’s the case, an updated salary range will be shared with candidates if they move forward in our hiring process.
In addition, we offer full-time staff 25 paid vacation days per year and 11 paid holidays, a rich employer-paid individual and family health plan, a matching 401(k) plan (up to 5% of base salary), annual professional development stipend, and casual and flexible work environment. To learn more about what it is like to work for DonorsChoose, visit our careers page.
Hybrid Workplace and Other Details
In this role, you’ll have the option to work a flexible hybrid schedule in our NYC office, or to work fully remotely from CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, PA, TX, or WI.
Candidates who are not in the NYC area should expect to travel to our NYC office on as-needed basis, about 4-6 times per year. All work-related travel expenses will be covered by the organization and proper safety precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to, Jim Kao, Vice President of Finance and Accounting.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.
Applications are now closed