Grants and Contracts Administrator at Data Society Research Institute
Remote - United States
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Grants and Contracts Administrator
Data & Society is an independent nonprofit research organization, studying the social implications of data-centric technologies and automation. We recognize that the same innovative technologies that may benefit society can also be abused to invade privacy, provide new tools of discrimination, foreclose opportunity and harm individuals and communities. Through original research and inclusive engagement, we work to ensure that empirical evidence and respect for human dignity guide how technology is developed and governed.
About the Grants and Contracts Administrator
As an integral member of the Finance Team, the Grants and Contracts Administrator will manage all phases of the grants and contracts process at Data & Society. This includes the development, preparation, and submission of grant proposals in collaboration with the Development Team and other relevant stakeholders, preparation and review of formal agreements/documents; securing appropriate financial authorization and signatures; performing record-keeping and maintenance; preparation and submission of grant-mandated reporting, and ensuring financial and procedural compliance on all grants and contracts, including governmental grants.
The Grants and Contracts Administrator will perform their work with a focus on accuracy and efficiency, and will take proactive measures, where appropriate, to mitigate risk.
The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent communication skills, demonstrating patience and clarity when communicating financial information. The Grants and Contracts Administrator will also have excellent organizational skills, an exceptional capacity for managing detail, robust problem-solving skills, and be adept at managing multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Work with the Development team to conduct preliminary prospect research on specific funders.
- Work with staff for the entire grant life cycle, from proposal to close, to ensure an accurate, timely, efficient, and transparent process.
- Lead the creation of budgets for grant proposals in collaboration with grant stakeholders, adhering to funder guidelines and D&S policies, and ensuring correct calculation of expenditure categories such as personnel costs, indirect costs, and other project costs.
- Guide and facilitate the preparation, review and submission of grant proposals and applications, with adherence to grant eligibility requirements, ensuring all necessary organizational documentation is included, and deadlines are met.
- Coordinate receipt of awards and contract documentation; maintain proposal and funding records and other relevant documentation in database systems.
- Serve as liaison to program directors and other grant stakeholders; providing pre-award, award and post-award coaching, guidance and support.
- Review funding award terms and conditions with program staff to ensure that funds are expended in compliance with the applicable terms and conditions.
- Track grant reporting deadlines and milestones, flagging relevant stakeholders.
- Responsible for invoicing and collection activities related to aged grants receivable.
- Responsible for tracking, reviewing, and approving grant expenditures for Data & Society’s entire grant portfolio.
- Work in collaboration with the Development team and relevant stakeholders to prepare and submit funder-mandated grant reporting packages which may include narrative reports, financial reports, and other supplemental documentation.
- Prepare accurate grant spending reports and projections, using these reports to meet regularly with the Director of Finance and research program staff to keep parties apprised of their grant status.
- Prepare internal grant spending and staffing reports and analysis, and other reports as needed for discussion and decision making by the Director of Finance.
- Work collaboratively with the Financial Administrator, flagging expected incoming funds, and ensuring that expenditures are properly captured against grants in the accounting system, with attention to completeness, accuracy, and timeliness.
- Manage all phases of the contracts process including preparation and/or review of formal agreements/documents; securing appropriate financial authorization and signature; and performing record-keeping and maintenance.
- Review proposals for and subsequently prepare and/or review contract amendments, addendums, and extensions, ensuring that they adhere to internal processes.
- Track key contract dates and milestones.
- Research and resolve contract issues.
- Submit to legal counsel on an annual basis contract templates and documentation for review and amendment, ensuring compliance with current laws, regulations, standards, and best practices.
Accounting Support / Special Projects / Other
- Prepare time allocations based on staffing, propose journal entries, and request grant invoices from Accounting.
- Support the organization's annual audit as needed.
- Participate and/or assist in special projects, and perform associated administrative duties, as assigned.
Organization Values and Participation
- Actively participate in programs and professional development opportunities that work to ensure we continue our commitment to building an anti-racist and anti-discriminatory organization;
- Attend all-organization activities such as staff meetings, retreats, town halls, listening sessions, workshops, and trainings; and
- Contribute to advancing culture and equity at Data & Society through participation in ad-hoc or ongoing working groups, reading groups, and other activities as other responsibilities allow.
- BA/BS degree in business or other related area
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of experience in grants administration and compliance as well as contract review and administration
- Government grant experience required; federal grant experience desired
- Experience with Federal OMB (Office of Management and Budget) circulars
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting desired
- Advanced level of proficiency with Microsoft Office required
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems (Raisers’ Edge, Donor Perfect) required
- Experience with Quickbooks reports and financial data required
- High ethical standards, operating with integrity and confidentiality
- Works well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and maintain quality of work
- Strong project management and time management skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated capacity to frame complex situations and present options
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Enjoys working independently and as part of a team
- Cultural humility
- Conflict resolution
The Grants and Contracts Administrator will report to the Director of Finance.
- Data & Society has committed to safety requirements to protect our staff from the COVID-19 pandemic. We require that prospective employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before joining our organization. Please note that any reasonable accommodation request is not guaranteed to be approved, and we will comply with ADA-related requirements to evaluate the accommodation against business needs.
- This is currently a full-time, remote position in the Finance department. Data & Society is based in New York City, and will for the foreseeable future operate as a Remote-First organization. While this role will start as completely virtual, it may involve onsite components in the future.
- The candidate selected for this position will be required to consent to a full background check in light of this role's responsibilities. More details about the background check will be provided later in the hiring process.
- The salary range for this role is $70K-80K. This salary offer will include a generous benefits package including paid time off, paid federal holidays, health, dental, and vision insurance and access to a range of opt-in products and services including additional insurance and 401k management.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States; we are unable to sponsor visas.
To apply, please submit the following items:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this role, and why you would be a good fit for this position.
- Your resume/CV is required.
The work and well-being of Data & Society is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from BiPOC, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com should you have any questions about the position. Questions about the opportunity or process will not reflect negatively on your application.
Applications are now closed