Head of Engineering at Cleo
London or remote (U.K)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
You can also see our latest DE&I report here.
Most people come to Cleo to do work that matters. Every day, we fight for the world’s financial health, building a beloved AI that empowers people to make better financial decisions.
We've raised over $100m from top tier VCs, reached above 5 million users who we've helped save $50m+ in overdraft fees alone and we plan to double that number each year. This is where you come in.
What you’ll be doing
We’re looking for an engineering leader to guide and further develop our engineers across our cross functional product squads. You will be responsible for the engineering team’s delivery, overseeing and managing both senior engineers and engineering managers, and ensuring we rapidly create exceptional products for our customers. We strive to maximize value for our customers rather than iterating on our technology stack, therefore we created our engineering principles to help guide our decisions.
Whilst this is a hands-off role, as a previous engineer yourself, we expect you will understand what it means to be an outstanding engineer in a product-focused tech company.
As the Director of Engineering, you will work closely with the VP Technology to develop our engineering strategy, grow the engineering team, and cultivate a positive engineering culture. You will also:
- Work across the technology leadership team and alongside peers in product, design and data to build, manage and retain a high-performing engineering team
- Collaborate with your team to build an engaging consumer facing product, partnering across product, design and data science to push the Cleo product forward
- Develop our recruitment process so we’re able to attract and source the best talent and onboard engineers so they can be successful at Cleo in the shortest amount of time;
- Work with our engineering managers, tech leads and agile coaches to help teams continuously improve
- Iterate and improve our engineering principles to empower engineers to make the right trade offs in order to focus on delivering great value to Cleo's customers
- Establish an engineering culture that is high performing, supports career development, and is a trusted environment where people can do their best work
This role is for you if you
- Know what great product-focused engineering looks like and have worked with peers in product, design and data to build industry leading products for consumers
- Have worked on a consumer product (B2C) closely with peers and know how to develop it from an engineering perspective
- Have proven experience building high-performing teams
- Have managed and mentored software engineers and managers and developed and supported your teams to do their best work
- Are someone who promotes and celebrates the successes of your team, both internally and externally, attracting and retaining world-class talent
- Have excellent communication and people leadership skills that has enabled you to be the voice of engineering whilst clearly conveying your strategy to your team
- Have a can-do attitude, bias towards action and you are always looking to continuously improve
What do you get for all your hard work?
- A competitive compensation package (base + equity) with review every 4 months.
- Work at one of the fastest-growing tech startups, backed by top VC firms, Sofina, Balderton & EQT Ventures.
- A clear progression plan. We want you to keep growing. That means trying new things, leading others, challenging the status quo and owning your impact. Always with our complete support.
- Flexibility: We can’t fight for the world’s financial health if we’re not healthy ourselves. We work with everyone to make sure they have the balance they need to do their best work.
- Work where you work best. We’re a globally distributed team. If you live in London we have a hybrid approach, we’d love you to spend one day a week or more in our beautiful office. If you’re outside of London, we’ll encourage you to spend a couple of days with us a few times per year. And we’ll cover your travel costs, naturally.
- Other benefits;
- 25 days annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- Check out our new benefits package here: https://web.meetcleo.com/blog/big-benefits-energy-the-latest-cleo-employee-benefits
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- 2 months paid sabbatical after 4 years at Cleo!
- Early finish every Friday
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- Online mental health support via Spill
- And many more!
UK App access: The Cleo app is no longer downloadable in the UK. If you’re an existing user, you’ll still have access to the app. But some features won’t be available (just for a little while). Why? 99% of our users are based in the US – where financial health is often overlooked. We’ve decided to shift our focus to where we can provide the most value and make the greatest impact for users who need it most. Then we’ll be able to apply what we learn to better support our UK users in the future.
Applications are now closed