Lead Data Engineer at Cleo
London or remote (U.K)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
We strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
If there’s anything we can do to accommodate your specific situation, please let us know.
You can also see our latest DE&I report here.
Looking to do work that matters?
We get it – it’s why most people come to Cleo. Together we’re fighting for the world’s financial health, building an AI that helps you make the best money decisions from day one. We’ve helped 4 million people so far with personalised insights and a voice you don’t expect in FinTech. But it’s time to do more.
As we enter the next phase, we’re looking for more improvisers, data geeks and grown ups who want to own their work and create meaningful change.
What’s the role all about?As Cleo’s Lead Data Engineer you will develop and maintain our data and machine learning infrastructure to support our scalability requirements and the growing demands of the company’s thirst for data. As Cleo grows rapidly towards 100M worldwide users, the problems we’re trying to solve get more complex. You’ll take the lead in driving improvements to our data platform and data engineering stack to accommodate this growth and provide the best service to our users.
Some of the things you'll get involved with:
- Build and maintain our ingestion pipelines from both internal and external sources, into our warehouse/data lake and our ML models. Working closely with engineers on self serve collection so we have high quality data to build upon.
- Improve our framework and platform on how we train, serve and monitor our Machine Learning working alongside our Data Science teams
- Work with various business and engineering teams to ensure reliable, scalable, robust architecture for our data platform and how it fits into the wider Cleo architecture.
- Supporting data scientists with automation, tooling, data pipelines and data engineering expertise
- Managing data engineers and building out the roadmap on how the platform evolves with the team
What are we looking for? Someone with...
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with a focus on data
- Experience managing a small team of engineers and making the right trade-offs to deliver value incrementally, while enabling for the future
- Experience with data warehousing solutions such as Snowflake, Redshift, or similar managed solutions
- Experience programming in one or more general purpose programming languages, with a preference for Python
- Experience working with Data Science on MLOps initiatives
- Solid SQL experience (PostgreSQL preferred). In addition to strong sense for how to design the best schemas for collection of data and efficiency
- Commercial experience working AWS technologies such as EKS, MSK, S3, EMR and Redshift
- Knowledge of real-time systems such as Kinesis or Kafka
- Experience with data monitoring, observability and threshold alerting tools
- A self-starting learner, confident teaching yourself to do things you have never done before
- Bias for action. You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy-in for your solutions and keep tickets moving. We’re always looking for ways to ship at pace.
- An above market compensation package (£84,958 - £120,000 Base + Equity). We're prepared to pay for the very best.You can view our public progression framework and salary bandings here: https://cleo-ai.progressionapp.com/engineering
- We’ll pay for you to attend conferences and continuous-learning events
- Work at one of the fastest growing tech startups anywhere in the world. We recently closed a really successful Series A with Balderton who join a formidable investor base including the people behind Skype, Transferwise, Zoopla, Lovefilm, Climate corporation, SongKick and others.
- The team is exceptional. You'll get to work with brilliantly forward-thinking and dedicated individuals every day.
- Our mission is standout. We want to radically improve everyone’s relationship with money. We're not maximising the time consumers spend in a feed, getting fast food delivered, or building an incrementally better bank. We're changing an industry in a visceral way, which you get to see every day in our customer feedback.
- We're an equal opportunity employer and put a lot of focus on ensuring there is an open environment for everyone
- Other benefits;
- 25 days Annual leave a year + public holidays (+ an additional day for every year you spend at Cleo)
- 401k matching in the US and 6% employer-matched pension in the UK
- Early finish every Friday
- Online courses & internal training to level up your skills
- Regular socials and activities, online and in-person
- Online mental health support via Spill
- Access to Pushfar - online platform for external mentorship
- And many more!
UK App access: The Cleo app is no longer downloadable in the UK (but only until next year). If you’re an existing user, you’ll still have access to the app. But some features won’t be available (just for a little while). Why? 99% of our users are based in the US – where financial health is often overlooked. We’ve decided to shift our focus to where we can provide the most value and make the greatest impact for users who need it most. Then we’ll be able to apply what we learn to better support our UK users in the future. Check out this page for more information.
Applications are now closed