Principal Data Architect at Classy
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Classy helps nonprofit organizations maximize their impact by creating exceptional giving experiences. Our market-leading suite of online fundraising solutions help millions of people amplify their support for the causes they care about. As an independent subsidiary of GoFundMe, we create a global leader in modern giving across B2C and B2B, creating new opportunities to reach more people and organizations across the world. Since 2011, Classy has powered tens of millions of donations from over 190 countries and raised over $4 billion for social good.
About the role:
Classy's Product Technology team is hiring a Database Architect to design, build, and maintain our data services and infrastructure that drive vast volumes of financial transactions measured in millions. The ideal candidate will combine solid engineering expertise with product aptitude, is driven by exciting technical challenges that come with scale, and thrives in a fast-paced, iterative, and collaborative environment. We want to talk to you if you are unfazed by the idea of relentlessly refactoring and extending existing systems to make them more robust, maintainable, and scalable.
What you'll accomplish:
- Have a critical role in building and maintaining robust, fault-tolerant, data integrations service layers.
- Implement and deliver new features leading to higher adoption of fundraising tools on the platform.
- Build reporting and monitoring tools to ensure the stability and security of the system.
- Establish and mature standards within the structure of a mature Architecture team that is responsible for maintenance of a Technology Radar.
- Develop on our highly scalable data platforms that include Aurora (MySQL), MongoDB, Redshift and Redis.
- Investigate and troubleshoot data processing bottlenecks to determine courses of action that predicate microservice design
- Mentor engineers to become proficient developers using best software development practices and processes.
- Participate in an engineering culture of “always be learning” where the sharing and learning from failures is celebrated and the giving and receiving of constructive candid feedback is highly encouraged.
What you bring (required):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years building highly scalable projects involving cloud-based infrastructure design and implementation.
- Excellent understanding of distributed data models with experience debugging distributed systems with high data loads.
- Ability to understand product requirements and help implementation teams with data architecture design.
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Strong experience writing performant SQL/MQL queries for relational and non-relational databases
- Proficiency in schema design in relational and NoSQL databases (MySQL, MongoDB).
- Comfortable with working on loosely coupled microservices.
- Deep experience with code versioning tools (GIT/Bitbucket).
- A deep sense of quality, and sharp engineering skills with strong computer science fundamentals.
What would be incredible to have (preferred):
- Experience with multi-regional cloud computing database infrastructure
- Advanced knowledge of CRM data architecture, such as Salesforce (SFDC) or Microsoft (Dynamics 365)
- Experience with cached data store or search technology for fast runtime access ( ElasticSearch, GraphQL, Splunk, Solr, Algolia)
- Experience building Big Data solutions
Why you’ll love it here:
- Market competitive pay
- Rich healthcare benefits including employer paid premiums for medical/dental/vision (100% for employee only plans and 85% for employee + dependent plans) and employer HSA contributions.
- 401(k) retirement plan with company matching
- Hybrid workplace with fully remote flexibility for many roles
- Monetary support for new hire setup, hybrid work & wellbeing, family planning, and commuting expenses
- A variety of mental and wellness programs to support employees
- Generous paid parental leave and family planning stipend
- Supportive time off policies including vacation, sick/mental health days, volunteer days, company holidays, and a floating holiday
- Learning & development and recognition programs
- Gives Back Program where employees can nominate a fundraiser every week for a donation from the company.
Dedication to Diversity
Classy is working toward building a more diverse and inclusive environment that is representative of individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, and lifestyles, allowing all employees to feel comfortable being their true, authentic selves in a space that enables productivity and meaningful work.