Principal Engineer, Backend at Brightwheel
Austin, San Francisco, Denver, or Remote (US only)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $100 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a highly distributed team supporting fully remote employees across every time zone in the US. We also have hubs in Austin, Denver, and San Francisco. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
We challenge ourselves every day to improve quality of life—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve. We care deeply about how our work enriches our customers now and scales for the future.
We are owners and see our work through. We are growth-minded, we iterate, and we seek to continuously improve. We are pragmatic, and we root decisions in data, logic, and intuition. Yet we value speed and a strong bias for action. We lean into collaboration, assume the best from everyone, and welcome differing opinions. We have audacious goals with a can-do attitude, break down walls to get stuff done, and are resourceful in order to accomplish more with less.
What You'll Do
- Lead highly complex, cross functional product engineering projects; ship software that matters to our customers and to our company
- Scale applications and services to handle millions of requests per minute using pragmatic & distributed software architectures
- Design API products that are suited for consumption by specific audiences
- Champion engineering velocity improvements with best practices and frameworks across teams; improve coding efficiency and quality
- Proactively identify and diagnose issues of reliability and performance; rapidly deploy code to address issues and drive improvements cross team
- Drive sound, data-driven decision-making; analyze data insights to uncover opportunities to evolve architecture for a great customer experience
- Drive forward excellence in engineering process & culture across teams
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams effectively and with empathy; promote technical learning across teams
- Mentor and advocate for junior engineers; push the boundary of their comfort zone. Build trust and respect in the team
- Interview and evaluate engineering candidate technical capabilities to help grow our engineering team
Qualifications: Technical Skills
- You’re an expert at software design, and you write high-quality code in general-purpose programming languages like Java, Python, and Ruby
- You’ve mastered building APIs that makes it simple to interoperate with other code; your stakeholders love to use it
- You’re experienced with scaling and shipping highly complex, distributed services in AWS or equivalent
- You have a solid understanding and hands-on experience developing with a variety of data stores, including relational, NoSQL, and in-memory
Qualifications: Essential People Skills
- You make pragmatic technology choices at work, even when there’s ambiguity
- You make time to learn in your slack time whenever appropriate. You don’t build science projects
- You care deeply about your work and are aware of how your attitude affects those around you; it’s obvious you’re having fun with your work and peers
- You are humble enough to use frameworks and technologies that aren’t your favorite but won’t have a materially negative impact; you are a champion for improving velocity with new frameworks & technologies cross team
- You experiment with many different types of development and project methodologies and have a healthy appreciation for what works; you drive engineering process and culture improvements cross team
- You focus on clear and concise communication because you understand it’s the biggest responsibility of your job as an engineer
- You love to teach and learn from your peers
Candidates with varying backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We do not require prior knowledge of technologies in our stack, only a desire to learn them.
Brightwheel is proud to celebrate diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Applications are now closed