Quality Engineering Manager at Planet Labs
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Are you a Quality Leader passionate about software quality through automation and engineering excellence? Do you have a particular passion for customer facing applications and API’s? Then we would like to talk to you! We are growing our Quality Engineering team and are looking for passionate leaders who are well versed and advocate for shift left methodology, automation, customer experience and team owned quality!
Impact You’ll Own:
- Lead: You will provide guidance, direction and supervise the day-to-day function of a team of Quality Engineers that work across different products and possibly technologies.
- Build: Partner with the Product and Engineering managers to ensure skilled QE talent are part of the team with an appropriate ratio between Developer Engineers:Quality Engineers
- Empower. You empower agile teams by bringing focus to quality. You champion evangelize, influence and advocate for quality; ensuring quality is built-in as the software/service/product is being developed.
- Automation is crucial. You ensure there is collaboration between qe/dev/prod to define, establish and continually evolve an automation strategy.
- Measure. In collaboration with the team, you identify and ensure the team is measuring product health, quality and customer experience.
- Knowledge. You are knowledgeable and aware of existing testing technologies and practices, and keep attuned to what is changing or new. You enjoy sharing your knowledge to upskill the team and QE community.
What You Bring:
- 6+ years of industry experience, including 2+ years as a technical lead responsible for quality assurance for a software product with a focus on release management, and at least 2 years of hands-on experience as a quality engineer or release engineer.
- Outstanding communication and facilitation skills, in both local and globally distributed teams. As well as being a cross functional team influencer.
- Experience with testing cloud-based public services.
- Ability to successfully manage and organize multiple parallel projects and priorities.
- Experience identifying gaps in the requirements or testing processes and able to generate solutions for continuous improvement.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Familiarity with geo-spatial data, satellite imagery and remote sensing is a plus.
- Experience with agile development and setting up scrum and/or kanban boards
- Experienced in developing test automation using python/go or other languages.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Applications are now closed