Research Software Engineer (Mgr / Sr Mgr) at Equilibrium Energy
San Francisco, Boston, London, or Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
About our Company
Equilibrium Energy is a well-funded, Series A clean energy startup backed by some of the most prominent institutional investors in climate. We are building a digital native power company operating at the intersection of grid variability, market volatility, economic optimization, commercial structuring, and risk management, across the end-to-end power value chain. Our mission is to accelerate our collective path to climate, energy, and societal equilibriums. Our goal is to become one of the next-generation, digital-native, end-to-end global clean power companies that reshapes the energy industry.
New colleagues will share our vision that a next-generation energy company must be built from the ground up on deep industry expertise combined with an unwavering commitment to modern digital approaches. We design our commercial strategies, operational approaches, and product suites so as to best leverage data-driven insights, automated workflows, ML-infused pipelines, and fully automated decision engines. These capabilities are enabled by our progressively modern software stack and engineering best practices, which in turn provide the scalable platform we need to put a serious dent in carbon emissions. We’re looking for collaborative, talented, passionate and resourceful folks to join our team and help us lay the foundation for our important mission and ambitious plan.
About the Job
We are looking for a Mgr / Sr Mgr Research Software Engineer to support and lead our team of Research Software Engineers. Research Software Engineers design, build and maintain software to enable high quality and efficient data science, ML, AI and operations research. Our research software engineers supercharge design and delivery of our ML, AI, data science and optimization product development activities while helping to build a software capability that underpins the company’s future successes. In short, if you want to fight climate change and love ML, AI and optimization research but love building software even more, this role is for you!
In the near-term, you will work with our ML and AI researchers, data scientists, software engineers, data engineers, platform engineers, and product managers to drive our ML- and AI-infused product development plan en route to growing our company to match our large ambitions.
In the medium-term, you will foster our research software engineering function by nurturing a culture of experimentation and delivery while supporting use of best-in-class ML and AI techniques. You will design and write software to support research science discovery, development, workflows, pipelines, feature stores, and production models that underpin decision-making across the company.
- Oversee and support the design, testing, implementation and support of research software supporting ML, AI, data science and optimization efforts
- Design, build and support software that multiplies our research team’s efficacy
- Identify, assess, implement and support third-party research software tools and libraries
- Design, build and support ML, AI, data, and sequential logic workflow pipelines, both online and offline
- Support design and development of the platform infrastructure and simulation ecosystem that underpins research design, training and testing
- Collate, clean, implement and support ML pipelines and feature stores
- Lead software engineering’s contributions in developing algorithms and original research in the energy domain.
- Conduct exploratory analysis to help define what to build next to deliver business value
- Experiment with novel research techniques to inform our suite of research tools
- Assist in algorithm development alongside the research team
- Serve as a servant leader of both engineering and research
- Build, nurture and grow our research software engineering function into a team that drives outsized growth for the company
- Provide support, feedback and coaching to your team. Set context and expectations while eliminating barriers to execution
- Partner with company leadership and recruiting to recruit, hire and onboard exceptional new new team members
- Passion for clean energy and mitigating climate change!
- BS/Master's degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Electrical Engineering) or equivalent practical experience
- Numerical software development experience in Python, Go, Julia, C++, or Rust
- Knowledge of statistics, mathematics, probability, uncertainty, ML, AI, and/or optimization theory and techniques (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions, gradient boosting, gaussian processes, stochastic optimization, etc.)
- 8 years of relevant work experience
- 5 years experience managing a team of senior software engineers
- Experience hiring, growing and nurturing an exponentially growing team
- Graduate degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Computer Science, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, Physics, Electrical Engineering)
- 8 years of relevant work experience, including strong software engineering fundamentals and expertise building software to support statistical research such as development of linear models, multivariate analysis, stochastic optimization, sampling methods, a range of ML and AI techniques, and associated data structures
- Advanced proficiency in Python, Go, Julia, C++ or Rust, experience with orchestration tools like Temporal
- Experience designing, testing, implementing and supporting software for conducting research
- Experience building and supporting ML/AI pipelines that support operational users (e.g., production models that run and produce new inferences every hour of the day)
- Familiarity with designing and building ML and RL models, preferably in the energy domain (e.g. wholesale market price forecasting)
- Familiarity with optimization techniques (e.g., stochastic optimization, robust optimization, etc.)
- Familiarity with statistical forecasting models on time series data, including characterizing probabilistic forecasting uncertainties
- Proactive communicator who can translate product design specs into organized code
- Demonstrated proactivity and self-direction. Willingness to teach as well as learn
- Excellent team collaboration skills and collaboration-first mentality
Not sure this is the right role for you?
We are a high growth company with accelerating hiring needs so there’s a great chance we’ll be able to create a custom role for you, now or in the future. All roles, titles and compensation packages are tailored to the applicant, so apply anyways and tell us in your cover letter about your dream role.
What we offer
Equilibrium is composed of deeply knowledgeable industry experts across all our functions, with decades of experience in energy-specific commercial structuring, power systems engineering, machine learning, computational research, operations research, distributed and compute-intensive infrastructure, and modern software & ML engineering. Our experience in the space means we’ve previously built versions of nearly every technical component of our platform. We are now designing them better, and combining them in a holistic and novel way, to achieve global scale and climate impact. We pride ourselves on our deeply empathetic & collaborative culture, honest and direct but respectful communication, and our balanced, flexible, and remote-first work environment.
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive base salary and a comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and 401k package
- Opportunity to own a significant piece of the company via a meaningful equity grant
- Unlimited vacation and flexible work schedule
- Ability to work remotely from anywhere in the United States & Europe, or join one of our regional hubs in Boston, SF Bay Area, or London
- Accelerated professional growth and development opportunities through direct collaboration and mentorship from leading industry expert colleagues across energy and tech
Equilibrium Energy is a diverse and inclusive, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Applications are now closed