Satellite Remote Sensing Atmospheric Scientist / Engineer at Terrabotics
Global (Remote or Hybrid)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Terrabotics is an Earth Observation data intelligence company with a mission to shine a new light on vital natural resources supply chains with satellite remote sensing and advanced IoT geospatial data analytics.
We remotely map, measure, monitor, and ultimately help better manage the production and supply of the World's most vital and critical natural resources. Through the power of planetary-scale measurements and data analytics we enable these industries to operate in a more socially responsible, environmentally, and economically sustainable way.
About the Role
12-Month Full-time Contract for a Remote Sensing / Earth Observation Scientist specialising in Atmospheric / Climate Sciences, with proven atmospheric modelling and AI/ML experience.
Are you a talented scientist or engineer with an interest in analysing and visualising real-world atmospheric remote sensing data, and focused on creating operational products that can solve real problems facing the global natural resources and energy sectors?
Are you eager to apply your analytical skills in a fast-paced tech start-up environment to work on solving problems that will have a meaningful and impactful benefit to the planet and society?
If so, we're offering you an exciting opportunity to play an integral role in Terrabotics' Product Development team. This role will involve building, automating, and testing new physical, analytical, numerical and statistical solutions enabled by vast amounts of spectral remote sensing data from sources such as visible optical imagery, multi-/hyper-spectral data, thermal infrared, and atmospheric gas emissions measurements collected by satellites and aircraft.
Your role will involve working closely alongside our remote sensing, GIS, and artificial intelligence specialists to contribute valuable data science analytics and atmospheric modelling workflows to derive new environmental insights from remote sensing data sources.
You will need to have a rigorous grounding in the physics and/or chemistry of atmospheric sciences, specifically studying, modelling, analysing atmospheric gas emissions such as carbon dioxide, methane, NO2 and SO2 etc. Additionally, you will need excellent advanced statistical analysis, modelling and machine learning skills to process, calibrate, analyse vast amounts of satellite remote sensing data and correlate and back-test against other truth data sources.
We're a fast moving deep tech start-up working on difficult yet interesting and meaningful problems that have a real impact on environmental and social global issues. We provide a creative and collaborative working environment and we encourage a highly self-driven, proactive and highly motivated working ethos.
This exciting role is for you if you have the following...
Required Attributes for the Role:
- An academic background in atmospheric or climate sciences with physics and/or chemistry, involving emissions measurement and atmospheric modelling of gases and/or aerosols.
- Experience collaborating well with other scientists, engineers and/or software developers to build and deliver products together.
- A product-mindset, you focus on getting things built, launched and in production quickly and efficiently.
- You champion clear maintainable code, diligent version control, clean documentation, code reviews, and merge requests.
- You are highly self-motivated, and have a genuine enthusiasm, enjoyment, and passion for solving problems with data in environmental, climate, natural resources, and energy sectors.
- You are a great team player, significantly adding to the productivity of the teams you join, whilst being easy to get along with.
- You pride yourself on your excellent work ethic and your willingness to roll up your sleeves and get stuck into tasks, small or large, in order to get a job done well, and on time.
Required Technical Skills:
- [Vital] Knowledge of atmospheric, climate and/or air quality data calibration, processing, analysis and modelling methods.
- [Vital] Proven experience in applying advanced statistical analysis methods, ML and AI to study big data problems and generate meaningful outcomes.
- [Vital] Very strong experience in writing and maintaining Python code to process large datasets and perform numerical modelling and advanced statistical analyses.
- [Vital] Demonstrable experience in Machine Learning Python libraries.
- [Ideal] Practical experience in processing and analysing large-scale atmospheric, geospatial, and environmental datasets.
- [Ideal] Knowledge and experience in working with satellite sensor data such as from the TROPOMI Sentinel-5P platform and/or other spectral atmospheric remote sensing satellites.
Vital Personal Characteristics:
- Exceptional Work Ethic: You will help us outwork the competition and make sure that our products succeed for our clients, and actually have an impact for the planet.
- Highly Collaborative: You understand that the best software and product development does not happen in a silo and that you will need to take the initiative on communication and proactive collaboration to get the best out of yourself and the team around you.
- Leadership & Initiative: You make it your mission to understand and stay up-to-date with the product vision and the user needs that will guide your product development. You lead by example and take the initiative to proactively explore ideas and potential solutions with your team.
- Adaptable & Proactive: You're happy and enthused to work with a multidisciplinary product team. You're comfortable working alongside back-end and front-end developers, earth scientists, data scientists, and data engineers and Python developers.
- Lean Principles: You're able to bring a start-up mindset to product development; shipping minimum viable products and releases early and often to learn and quickly iterate.
- Mission Driven: You have a willingness and ability to prioritise working on current code and staying focused with tasks on hand to meet deadlines.
- Excellent Communicator: Excellent verbal and written English is a pre-requisite for this role, alongside the ability to communicate clearly with diplomacy and respect.
- A post-graduate degree in numerical Atmospheric Sciences, Climate Sciences, Physics, or Chemistry with a solid grounding in physics and advanced statistical modelling. To at least MSc-level.
This is an initial fixed-term 12-month contract at Terrabotics. We anticipate a start date in March/April/May 2022. There is a real possibility for a contract extension or conversion to a permanent role beyond the initial placement, if the new products and the candidate make an impactful contribution to our new product launch in the first 12-months.
This is a remote role, open globally. We can hire locally in most countries on time zones compatible with UTC-6 to UTC+3
Salary & Perks:
- Competitive Compensation package: We offer a good salary in the range (USD ~$50k - $72k / GBP £38k - £54k) + equity share options available on a sliding scale, depending upon skills, experience and ability to make an immediate impact &/or level of extra training required.
- Hours: Nominally a standard 40 hour week, with flexibility around business core hours by arrangement.
- Learning & Development: A commitment to continuous on the job learning and training, internally and externally. You will also be working alongside experts in Earth Observation, Geospatial technology, Computer Vision, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science.
- Opportunity to attend and present work at relevant national and international events, meet-ups and conferences.
- Experience the growth-stage tech Start-up environment, with an opportunity to learn all aspects of building and growing a business alongside a diverse world-class team.
Location & Working Environment:
- This is a remote-first role (also with a hybrid option for applicants with a relevant UK work permit). We can hire locally in most countries on time zones compatible with UTC-6 to UTC+3
- Our main office hub is Central London, very close to Westminster and the Houses of Parliament, for those that wish to work in an office environment and are already UK-based.
How to Apply:
Please provide the following with your initial application:
- Cover letter,
- CV or Resume,
- Portfolio/Links to any prior relevant work (e.g. Github repo, publications, presentations, etc...)
After supplying the above you will receive an email and an invitation to complete first stage screening while we review your submission.
Our Values & Virtues
PRODUCT - LEAN - AGILE
We look for product minded doers who are driven to transform cutting-edge science and engineering into real and useable products that will create true impact and repeatable value for our clients.
We work at pace, implementing Lean principles and Agile practices to ensure that we can ship product early and often, to learn and iterate towards success.
INTEGRITY - GRIT - SKILL - PASSION
Good People: We're positive realists, confident in our abilities, yet humble, honest, naturally helpful and empathetic. We don't work in silos, but instead champion collaboration and communication for maximum product success and impact for our team and our clients,
Work Ethic: We each bring an extraordinary and tenacious work ethic to get products built and launched, so that they can start making a difference as soon as possible for our end users!
Talent, Skill, & Experience: Individually we each bring proven talents, skills, and experiences in product marketing, management, design, data science, engineering, and relevant industry specific areas. And what we don't know yet, we actively learn!
Passion & Courage: A boundless enthusiasm and enjoyment for solving meaningful and real-world environmental, social, and industrial problems. Building a start-up company, with brand new products, while defining new markets, and moving fast all at once takes courage and passion.
Applications are now closed