Senior Engineering Manager at Brightwheel
Austin, San Francisco, Denver, or Remote (US only)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $100 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a highly distributed team supporting fully remote employees across every time zone in the US. We also have hubs in Austin, Denver, and San Francisco. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who You Are
Brightwheel is seeking an experienced Senior Engineering Manager to lead one of our full-stack Product Engineering teams. This will be a high visibility team with significant impact to the company’s bottom line. You will launch brand new features and products to enable administrators at early education centers to manage their staff, students and schools. Your team will be responsible for building great software across our stack, starting by collaborating with product and design on what to build and why, all the way through to shipping and operating the software that you craft.
Our stack is comprised of React, Rails, Postgres on RDS, Redis, Sidekiq and others running on a finely-tuned Kubernetes cluster in AWS powering a web experience and native iOS and Android apps. We believe in using pragmatic, battle-hardened technologies that are right for the job.
What You’ll Do
- Manage a full-stack team of passionate, dedicated engineers
- Own the architecture, development, testing and ultimately operation for a set of features
- Help the team double in size over the next year by hiring engineers and driving improvements to our hiring engine
- Grow and develop the team by nurturing and coaching engineers, and helping them advance in their careers
- Work closely with the Product and Design team to develop roadmaps and goals
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Brightwheel’s engineering management team
- Drive process improvements to increase product velocity while simultaneously raising the bar for quality and operational excellence
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities
- You have experience managing an engineering team of 10+ engineers, and have a track record of shipping critical customer-facing features
- You have significant experience hiring engineers at various levels including Staff Engineers
- You have strong technical depth and can participate in as well as influence technical architecture and design discussions
- You encourage a healthy work environment that is both supportive and challenging
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You work very well cross-functionally and are able to make hard decisions and trade-offs
Brightwheel offers a competitive compensation package (base salary, equity and benefits) with a strong emphasis on equity-based compensation (ownership in brightwheel). For cash compensation, brightwheel sets standard ranges for all roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In alignment with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the annual cash compensation for this role in Colorado is targeted at $194 - 245. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above. If you are applying from a different location and have questions on the compensation band for your region, please ask your recruiter.
Our benefits package includes premium medical, dental, and vision benefits, generous paid parental leave, a flexible paid time off policy, a monthly wellness and productivity stipend, and a Learning & Development stipend
Brightwheel is proud to celebrate diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Applications are now closed