Senior Platform Security Engineer (Remote, EMEA or EST USA) at Grafana Labs
EMEA, United States (Remote)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
You will be designing and building a set of best of breed COTS and open source tools to help engineers secure our products, from design to operations, then dog-fooding our own stack to create a single, actionable pane of glass for R&D team members. We have ambitions to create an incredible, source-agnostic mechanism to compose present actionable, prioritised risks to engineers and service owners. We need your help to make that real.
DevOps can be a hostile act. How can we ask engineers and service owners to make complex, domain-specific decisions without the enablement and expertise that helps them understand and prioritise their risks? We’re passionate about building beautiful, accurate and fast platforms that deliver actionable security insights to the people that can solve security problems. We help support and make real the autonomy that is at the heart of Grafana’s culture by building lightweight and meaningful guardrails and surfacing actionable data to risk owners. We help make people feel safe when making important decisions. We serve the user where they live.
Do you want to do that? Fancy open-sourcing most of it back into Grafana’s favourite projects as well?
For all that, we believe absolutely in agreeing reasonable expectations and timeframes and giving people the room to do great work, in a setting that prioritises health, happiness and work-life balance.
- Getting good data - Finding, testing and integrating security tooling into our SDLC, from design to CI/CD to production
- Surfacing ownership - Building or integrating features that support clear code and service ownership
- Enhancing and composing data - Helping create plugins, integrations and dashboards on Grafana's stack, squeezing better insights out of the data
- Building beautiful experiences - We’ve been winning so far because our products are a joy to use
- Work with R&D stakeholders to agree, document and enable minimum security standards in our SDLC
- Creating accountability - Developing our understanding and implementation of security SLOs and error/risk budgets using Grafana’s stack
- Cheaper, faster and safer changes - Working with the other Security Engineers, Release Engineering and Platform teams to create a paved path for development and release
- Help shape our security strategy, both internally and for our open source and commercial products
An Ideal Candidate might possess:
- Experience with Grafana’s stack, particularly Prometheus. Loki would also be an advantage
- Extensive experience with automated security testing and remediation in SCM/CI/CD - GitHub, SCA, all the *ASTs, jsonnet, flux, drone, fuzzing, etc
- Great communication and collaboration skills - There’s lots of interest in this area around Grafana Labs, so you’ll have lots of people on hand to help
- Experience working in agile and Cloudy environments (AWS/GCP/Azure, Docker and k8s)
- Experience in guiding and developing engineers on best practice would also be useful
What you will bring to the role:
- A continual bias to action and ongoing sense of curiosity
- A commitment to autonomy - both in yourself and supporting this in others
- Ideally you’ll have experience with data analysis and data science disciplines
- 5+ years of experience working in product security / application security, ideally in Cloud-native organisations
- Experience with some of: Go, Node.js, Python
- A strong drive to satisfy the users’ needs (Security should serve the user)
- A blend of commercial and open-source experience
- A passion for building beautiful user experiences
- An interest in Grafana’s stack and a desire to contribute to our open source foundations - We love dog-fooding and giving back!
- If you have something of an offensive security mindset or background this is a value we’re trying to bake into the team. This can also be learned!
Our hiring process:
- Video chat with one of our Talent Managers (30 mins)
- Video chat with the Hiring Managers (30 mins)
- Live Security Methodology Interview with 2 Engineers (60 mins)
- Security solutions take home exercise focused interview (45 mins)
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 900,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a SpaceX launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include three other open-source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana Tempo (for traces).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
A note about covid-19: All Grafanistas who wish to attend in-person events or travel for Grafana Labs must be fully-vaccinated.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Applications are now closed