Senior Research Scientist at Crisis Text Line
$87,000 - $135,000/year
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Crisis Text Line provides free, 24/7, high-quality text-based mental health support and crisis intervention by empowering a community of trained volunteers to support people in their moments of need.
Our mission is at the intersection of empathy and innovation — we promote mental well-being for people wherever they are.
Our vision is an empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
Why you should join our team:
- Our work is transforming the way people in pain access support at their fingertips
- Our work is innovative in the crisis response space
- Our dynamic, fun, and diverse culture
- Our meaningful cause, led by empathy and innovation
- Our strong values at the center of all we do
- Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Our commitment to engagement and belonging
- Our commitment to our employees and their holistic wellbeing
- Our value of work/life balance
- Our growth mindset and prioritize professional development
- Our leaders who truly care
What you will be doing:
As a Senior Research Scientist within the new Research & Impact team, you will play a key role in foundational efforts to deliver a consistent flow of high-quality, insightful research aimed at evidencing and optimizing impact of Crisis Text Line’s service and improving practice, policy and the broader field of mental health support globally. Reporting to the Principal Research Scientist, your work will focus on leveraging the opportunity of more than 7.5 million crisis conversations since 2013 to conduct research, monitor emerging trends, and generate insights to help people thrive, specifically uplifting underinvested communities. As part of a small but nimble team working in collaboration with divisions across the organization, you will work to identify impactful research questions, conduct queries and analyze data, write and review reports, and deliver actionable insights to amplify Crisis Text Line’s impact for texters, volunteers, and society across languages, cultures, and contexts. You will work in close collaboration with all members of the Research & Impact team, as well as with cross-functional partners in data analytics, clinical, volunteer, user research, engineering, product, and external-facing teams.
- Design and lead collaborative strategic research sprints on priority issues, adhering to rigorous, industry-standard research methods and documentation practices
- Frame and propose clear research questions to query and analyze internal data in combination with external research in order to monitor and identify emerging trends
- Contribute to the production of a steady flow of actionable insights that situate Crisis Text Line at the forefront of the field through compelling research briefs, reports, and presentations
- Build strong cross-functional relationships and take on priority cross-team collaborations on strategic assessments, evaluations, and research, as appropriate
- Track industry trends and developments and support appropriate partnerships with other organizations and experts under guidance of senior leadership
- Support strategic funding opportunities (contracts and grants) to optimize Crisis Text Line’s impact for texters, volunteers and society
- Provide direct support and expertise in the ongoing management of organization-wide internal data insights and research requests as a member of the core workflow team
- Lead or support the development or review of all external-facing content referencing Crisis Text Line data and insights, as appropriate
- Serve as a model of agility, consistently demonstrate the ability to adapt to meet the rapidly-evolving needs of the world, and corresponding adjustment to priorities of the organization and team
- Actively support individual and team equity, diversity and inclusion knowledge, and apply understanding through ongoing learning, reflecting and dialogue opportunities
- Able to function well across diverse groups and integrate diverse views into daily work
- Able to integrate baseline knowledge of cultural awareness
What you bring to the table:
- 4+ years of combined training and experience in computational social science, natural language processing, computer science, statistics, mixed-methods evaluation or research, or related disciplines
- Experience in programming languages used for data manipulation and computational statistics (such as Python, R, MATLAB, C++, Java, Go), and with SQL.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience using rigorous quantitative or mixed research methods, analyzing data using multiple approaches, and reporting results
- Basic understanding of ML theory and practice and able to extract insights from text using different NLP techniques (text parsing, lemmatization, tf-idf, topic modeling, etc.)
- Skills in translating research results into non-technical insights for broad consumption
- Experience working in cross-functional or matrix teams
Salary Range: $87,000 - $135,000
This range is provided by Crisis Text Line. Your actual pay will be based on your skills, experience, location, and applicable law (such as local minimum wage laws). We pay competitively in the tech-forward nonprofit space and offer a robust benefits package.
Crisis Text Line employee benefits are thoughtfully designed using an equity lens, acknowledging that we are all unique human beings with individual life circumstances that require flexibility and support.
- 20 paid holidays including:
- Federal holidays like Juneteenth and Labor Day
- Election day
- Holiday break from Dec 24 through January 1
- 2 renewal days
- 2 floating holidays
- Flexible paid time off, including:
- 15 vacation days
- 3 personal days
- 7 sick days
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for the staff member and family at no cost to the employee
- 403B retirement plan (the nonprofit equivalent of a 401K): 3% contribution by Crisis Text Line to support building financial wellness, regardless of personal contribution
- 12 weeks paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Student loan repayment (after 2 years of continuous full time service)
- Family support through a virtual childcare platform
- Mental health (Monthly)
- Internet Service (Monthly)
- Professional Development (Annual)
- Wellness (Annual)
- Home office setup (One time/First year)
(Benefits only apply to full-time employees)
Crisis Text Line is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We provide reasonable accommodation to individuals who have a disability and meet the skill, experience, education, and other job-related requirements of the role to allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job.
Applications are now closed