Senior Software Engineer (Data Focus) at The Democratic Party
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
The Democratic National Committee’s Tech team is hiring a senior, data-focused software engineer to work on tools to help candidates win elections and to empower progressives across the country. The Tech team works closely with campaigns, state parties and the political ecosystem to provide the tools and data they need to win. We need engineers to help us build the technological infrastructure and data pipelines needed by candidates running for everything from the school board to the presidency.
This role is a remote role, on a remote-first team.
Who we are
The Tech team is a small, diverse team that develops and supports technology used by candidates and organizers across the United States to analyze data, organize campaigns, raise money, and get out the vote on election day. You can read more about us on our blog on Medium.
We value diversity in perspective, lived experience, and the many paths one may take towards becoming an engineer. To that end, even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description, we still encourage you to apply.
Do you want to…
- Secure the future of our country? A lot is at stake and our team has a huge opportunity to make a real difference.
- Work with amazing people? We have built a diverse, distributed team, hiring the best people we can wherever they are—alumni from past Presidential campaigns, experienced product developers, e-commerce veterans, and more.
- Never stop learning? We are blazing a lot of new trails and you should be comfortable exploring and learning from everyone you can.
- Communicate clearly and approach problems with curiosity and humility.
- Work on many kinds of systems. We’re seeking engineers for our Core Infrastructure engineering team, where we work on a ton of different things: plumbing of ETL jobs, various data engineering, infrastructure-as-code, cloud computing, and more. We build infrastructure to support our internal data team as well as campaigns across the country, thousands of volunteers, and millions of voters.
- Dive into a stack that is heavily composed of data pipelines involving Apache Airflow and the wide BigQuery ecosystem.
- Support and work closely with data analysts, and probably write a whole bunch of your own SQL.
- Work with fellow engineers, and people who use our data products, to provide great user experiences.
- Make a lot of people’s work easier -- our team is focused on helping computers do what they do best, so we can save human time for things only humans can do.
- Collaborate with peers within the DNC and our ecosystem to discover the best technology to help Democrats get elected.
- Build for the long run, knowing that the mission of the Tech team is to continually improve the technology available to Democrats from campaign to campaign and election to election.
Tech we work with often includes…
- Google BigQuery and the related ecosystem
- Astronomer, Apache Airflow, and other data workflow and orchestration tools
- Cloud computing in AWS and GCP
- Hashicorp Terraform for infrastructure-as-code
More about us and what we’re looking for:
We are seeking a pragmatic and experienced software engineer who is motivated to work on systems that help candidates win elections and to empower progressives across the country. Candidates for this role should have prior experience working in large-scale, high-throughput production data environments, but we don’t require a background in politics!
DNC Tech is a remote-first organization, with teammates from both coasts and many places in between, and work closely with colleagues in DC. We’re looking for folks who already have experience writing code and working with data pipelines, but we do not require previous experience in politics! If you are coming from the tech industry, you’ll probably find that politics is a different world with its own set of challenges and frustrations. On the other hand, the impact and importance of your work cannot be overstated. The work you’ll do at the DNC will support campaigns, voters, and folks all across the country.
The starting salary for the Senior Software Engineer (data focus position is $107,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is ineligible for overtime wages.
This is a cycle based position with an end date of November, 15, 2022.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employee and dependants.
The DNC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to succeed at the DNC. The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DNC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DNC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. We welcome applicants with questions about accommodations to request to speak with our Human Resources Department. When an applicant with a disability requires an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing our Human Resources Department.
Essential functions of the role include:
- Working from a computer for long periods of time; and,
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may also frequently be required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders.
You must receive the full course of one of the CDC-recommended vaccinations against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
Applications are now closed