Senior Software Engineer, Remote Sensing at Indigo
Boston OR Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet.
Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list below aren’t an exact match… great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
About the Role:
The Senior Software Engineer on the Remote Sensing team will play a key role in designing and building efficient, scalable, and performant products and services in support of Indigo’s remote sensing efforts. Your expertise in software development will help us design and scale systems to see grower management practices and agricultural patterns from space and to use those insights to help growers profitably and sustainably feed the planet.
You will be joining a small, cross-functional team of data scientists and engineers, within which you will own much of the technical decision-making. The team will look to you for guidance on architectural design, pipeline development, and deployment, as we strive to bring remote-sensing-based insights and products to multiple internal and external customers. You will represent our team in a cross-squad guild of other geospatial engineers, where you will work to align on common systems and patterns.
- Work in a cross-functional group of data scientists and engineers to build geospatial products and services.
- Collaborate with product managers and data scientists to design systems that leverage science to answer difficult questions.
- Design and own high quality production systems from initial planning stages to operational support.
- Mentor other team members on good engineering practices, including sprint planning, software design, code review, testing, deployment, and monitoring.
- Understand and maintain legacy systems while working to provide better replacements.
- Constantly learn from and educate others to improve yourself and the project.
- You possess strong and proven computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, databases, and data management.
- You understand how to build high-throughput APIs and data processing pipelines.
- You have a drive for software engineering excellence.
- You have a passion for mentoring others and sharing your knowledge.
- You are resourceful and can troubleshoot your way through problems.
- You thrive in a fast paced, agile development environment.
- You are a strong communicator. You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You strive to create fast, reliable, testable, and documented code that others can understand.
- You bring a positive attitude and a sense of humor.
- 5+ years experience with Python
- 2+ years experience deploying high quality services on AWS or other cloud providers.
- Experience with CI/CD and automated testing.
- Experience with operational systems and devops.
- Ability to break technical solutions into modules of manageable development stories.
- Spatial/Relational Database Proficiency, e.g., Postgres/PostGIS, Snowflake.
- Prior experience working with geospatial data and gis operations.
- Experience designing and building data pipelines at scale using distributed architectures.
- Experience working with large, complex datasets, especially large vector datasets
Nice to Have:
- Experience with time series data storage and access patterns.
- Familiarity or experience with image processing workflows.
- Familiarity or experience with computer vision/ML/AI workflows.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) plan
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
Applications are now closed