Senior Systems Engineer at Cervest
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Cervest is building the world's first open access AI-powered Climate Intelligence platform.
We’re a Certified B Corporation with a vision to build a climate intelligent world — one where everyone is able to use Climate Intelligence to adapt with climate change. By making Climate Intelligence open, democratised and transparent we will power a global Climate Intelligent Network™ that drives a chain reaction of climate intelligent decisions to protect the world’s critical assets, including our greatest asset — the planet.
Using our flagship EarthScanTM product, anyone can discover how current and future climate events such as flooding, droughts, and extreme temperatures will impact their assets. EarthScan helps our customers confidently de-risk decisions, meet financial disclosure needs and improve the resilience of the assets they own, manage or rely on.
As a company, we are a pro-diversity, highly inclusive organization, committed to bringing together people of all backgrounds and enabling them to succeed. We know that a richly diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
We're seeking a full-time Senior System Engineer to join our ~100 strong scale-up. The role offers an opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven business where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on our company and facilitate climate change awareness across multiple industries.
You will be supporting the delivery of the following objective:
- Create and maintain a self-served platform which enables Cervest scientists and developers to register, create and explore data products at scale in a standardized way.
You would be working in a cross functional team environment where understanding user needs and providing guidance to them will be critical. Of equal importance is a proactive approach to identifying, avoiding and resolving edge cases within the platform.
The day to day tasks for the self-served compute platform revolve around design and implementation of continuous integration pipelines, system integration, web and cli interfaces as well as infrastructure provisioning.
Within this role, you will be immediately involved in the following for our current platform:
- Understand the current platform’s technologies and how they interact: Pachyderm, an internal python tool for pipeline development, CI actions & the development environments within AWS.
- Be an authority on the failure states users commonly observe and suggest practices that support teams in developing stable jobs.
- Build out the required interfaces to allow users to interact with the platform via our front-end. For example, trigger and delete jobs and have full visibility of job status.
- Extend the capability of the platform. For example: provide users a system that identifies resource requirements for a given job: instance type, cpu, memory & storage limits (peak and average).
Additionally, you would be involved the designing and implementation of the next generation of our platform:
- Identifying technology candidates that align with our current technical and product requirements.
- Presenting proof of concept showcases of such technologies, identifying their pros and cons.
- Architecting a design for the platform end-to-end with composability and maintainability in mind.
- Estimating resources and requirements for work to be done.
- Established competence and wide experience of Cloud-based environments, specifically AWS
- Strong grasp of system architecture and design principles
- Proficiency with Python
- Strong competency in automation via Github actions and the Github API (or similar automation environments)
- Good familiarity and comfort with Infrastructure as Code tools, such as Terraform, Ansible
- Experience with Kubernetes & Docker
- Experience working in Agile teams
Don’t worry if you do not match all the requirements because we at Cervest are looking for transferable skills and a vision-oriented mindset. So if you partly match the mentioned requirements we would love to hear from you!
Nice to have:
- Experience servicing internal clients with no knowledge of cloud-based infrastructure
- Experience with Pachyderm
- Proficiency with Julia
- Fullstack development experience with web frameworks (notably Flask & FastAPI, though other examples, even non-Python ones may be applicable) and JS frameworks such as React
- Knowledge of gRPC
As a rapidly scaling company on a mission, we are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
We are a remote-first company and are hiring across Europe, the USA and beyond. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working in a remote setting and with a diverse team distributed across multiple time zones. This job requires minimum travel for occasional regional or global team retreats only, using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one or two time zones of the UK (UTC±2).
- 25 days’ holiday a year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- The company closes between December 24th and January 1st, which typically gives an extra 3 days off each year (on top of your 25 days entitlement)
- Remote first company culture with flexible working hours
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave policies
- Every employee is given a plant of their choice
- £1000 a year learning budget towards personal and professional development
- 10% of your time can be used for projects that help us meet Cervest’s mission outside your day-to-day responsibilities
- £500 stipend to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your laptop and peripherals such as a screen and keyboard - you will be able to choose between a Mac or PC)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health with access to Spill
- Virtual team and company activities such as pastry-making classes, mindfulness classes, coffee masterclasses and murder mysteries
- £1500 loan towards a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme (available for UK employees)
Applications are now closed