Senior Technical Accountant at Affirm
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
We are looking for an individual who has a strong passion for technical accounting and understanding the economic and business impacts of complex business transactions.
This individual will assist with the timely review of significant contracts impacting revenue recognition and will work closely with our financial reporting, G/L accounting and other cross-functional stakeholders including commercial, product and legal teams to understand the business context and accounting impacts.
You will remain up to date on relevant developments coming from accounting standard setting bodies (FASB/IASB) and the SEC on unique and complex financial reporting matters.
You will actively participate in and promote learning culture through ongoing self initiated learning and knowledge sharing activities within the accounting organization and across key internal stakeholders.
This position will report to the Technical Accounting Manager.
What You'll Do
- Assist in the preparation and review of quarterly and annual filings with the SEC (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and others), including drafting of financial statement schedules and completing SEC and GAAP checklists.
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis on new or modified significant revenue generating contracts with customers (ASC 606) and vendor agreements (ASC 705).
- Perform ad hoc research and analysis in connection with new products and/or loan origination channels.
- Research and evaluate new accounting standards, prepare technical memos and evaluate impact on current accounting policies.
- Assist in operationalizing new/complex transactions and act as a strategic partner to Legal, Commercial and Product teams by assisting in real time review and accounting impact assessment as it relates to the identification and assessment of technical accounting matters.
- Work with Technical Accounting Manager and Director to establish timelines and prioritization of monthly and quarterly deliverables prepared by the Technical Accounting team to support monthly and quarterly close processes, SOX controls, and financial reporting timelines. Proactively raise and escalate dependencies and issues to accounting stakeholders.
What We Look For
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- CPA required (may consider candidates on track to earn their CPA in the near term)
- 3-5 years’ work experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- Strong working knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS and SEC rules and regulations
- Proven process for performing complex technical research and analysis from the problem definition stage through facilitating the integration of any new processes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and intellectually curious - with a proven ability to communicate and manage timelines and deliverables upwards and cross-functionally, and across geographies, as well as educate key stakeholders on what is needed and why
- An orientation toward process and detail mindedness. Strong analytical and quantitative skills and an appreciation for the operational complexities that may arise when implementing new and/or complex initiatives
- The desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
- Passion for Affirm and a strong interest in technology
- Proficient knowledge of MS Excel, Word and GSuite
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA26
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
[For U.S. Candidates] All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account. The grade for this position is noted above and in accordance with various U.S. pay transparency laws, we provide the base pay range and benefits for our U.S.-based positions in the links below:
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Applications are now closed