Software Engineer, Machine Learning (Shopping Core) at Affirm
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
We've opened an office in Poland with a goal to hire a substantial team of talented engineers within the first year. Read more about our plans here.
The Shopping Core ML team’s mission is to deliver state of the art ML algorithms that will help build robust and scalable customer products. We use a data-driven approach to solve the problems and deliver ML-powered smart user experiences on the consumer apps and website. This team works in close partnership with our product managers, application and website teams to deeply understand the problems and deliver the most impactful solutions. We are constantly faced with challenges at industrial scale such as Personalization, Information Retrieval, Relevance Ranking and are pushing the boundary of how Affirm thinks of its data.
We are looking for highly motivated senior engineers to help build this team in Poland. Come join us!
What You'll Do
- Partner with Data Science and Product engineering teams to build production machine learning models; your models will decide who we lend to in real time, and how we interact with our existing customers
- Develop the core decisioning service supporting our machine learning models in production
- Optimize the decisioning service with respect to the accuracy of the underlying models, the latency of different 3rd party data sources, and the expected financial cost of those data sources
- Develop our understanding of new data sources and how they may improve our existing processes
- Design, develop, and deploy infrastructure for the training, testing, and serving of models at scale
- Work closely with Affirm’s credit, risk, and analytics teams to understand our risk modeling strategy and the business drivers underlying that strategy
What We Look For
- B.S. with 2-3 years of industry experience, M.S. with 1-2 years, or PhD
- Deep understanding and experience with data engineering, data analysis, and statistical modeling, in the development of real-time services
- Proficiency writing production-quality software following software engineering best practices, preferably industry engineering experience with machine learning projects (e.g. recommendation, ranking, optimization)
- Strong foundation in machine learning with experience implementing and optimizing machine learning models
- Hands on experience with Python, Spark, XGBoost, Airflow, and AWS (EC2, EMR, etc.) a plus
- Ability to work efficiently both solo and as part of a team; willingness to learn new things
- Passion and drive to change consumer banking for the better, while developing a deeper understanding of applied machine learning
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive package, with some highlights listed below. However, the given figures are not guaranteed compensation ranges; rather, they are unbinding, approximate indications of what the salary may be for your awareness. The actual salary may be less than the lower range or greater than the upper range, depending on skills and experience. No employee is guaranteed salary at the amount of the lower range.
- Targeted Gross Monthly Salary: 18,840 - 23,550 PLN
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
Location - Remote Poland
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in Poland.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
[For U.S. Candidates] All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account. The grade for this position is noted above and in accordance with various U.S. pay transparency laws, we provide the base pay range and benefits for our U.S.-based positions in the links below:
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Applications are now closed