Software Engineer, Search Team at Planet Labs
United States, Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Search team at Planet is seeking a new Software Engineer to better enable access to Planet’s valuable data sets. Your mission will be to build services that enable efficient publishing and searching of Planet’s variety of datasets.. The Search team enables Planet customers scalable and contextually relevant access to our data through a variety of APIs and applications. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, creative, and has at least some experience building large scale backend systems.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Enablement of efficient and rapid access to our variety of new and growing data sets
- Evolve the internal publishing, indexing and search capabilities that power our customer facing Platform.
- Scale software systems for data delivery with growing customer demand
- Evolve customer-facing data delivery services with an emphasis on scale and customers requirements
- Full service ownership by measuring performance, creating alerts, being on call, and responding to incidents and performance anomalies.
What You Bring:
- Experience building customer-facing APIs in languages such as Go and Python using tools like git
- Familiarity monitoring and operating highly scalable cloud native software.
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work well in a remote setting
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience maintaining infrastructure with Kubernetes, Terraform, and Ansible
- Experience building services that leverage cloud-based infrastructure and tooling such as AWS or GCP
- You’ve worked with geospatial data before, even tangentially
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Applications are now closed