Sr. Engineering Manager, Sustainability at Indigo
Boston OR Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
We’re an international agtech startup pioneering an ambitious mission in a budding industry where agriculture meets technology. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo Ag helps farmers make farming more sustainable to combat climate change and protect the environment. Our grain, carbon, and transportation marketplaces enable farmers to profit from those sustainable choices.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming experts who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge technologists and scientists on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer. Indigo is extraordinary, and we owe that to the individuals who make up our community and enable success through diversity of thought, experience, background, perspective, race, sexuality, gender, age, and everything else that makes a person uniquely themselves. Connected by a common vision and empowered by diversity, we aren’t ordinary, and neither are you. Embrace your extraordinary and join Indigo in cultivating a healthier planet fueled by unique game changers.
The Sustainability Science & Modeling team connects cutting edge science and research with quantification methodologies at scale through deeply cross disciplinary work. We define the science requirements behind high-quality carbon credits, collaborate with scientists across academia and industry, and work on world class data sets and experiments to advance the science around sustainability and agriculture. We are looking for a Senior Manager to support our Sustainability Science and Modeling team, which develops the scientific foundation that our technology platform and tools are based on.
Our team works with experts in software engineering, policy, agronomy, design, product, and data science to help farmers get paid for sustainable practices, for example creating credits for practice changes that draws carbon from the air into the soil and reduces emissions (often called Carbon Farming or regenerative agriculture).
In order to quantify impact rigorously and cost effectively we collect data on farming practices, remote sensing, and other data sources that we combine with direct measurement data to model and analyze GHG and soil carbon outcomes and other sustainability attributes. We are using science, agriculture, data, technology, and software engineering to fight climate change and support grower success when making sustainability-driven decisions.
As a Sr. Manager at Indigo you will
- Collaborate with scientists and modelers, Product Managers, UX designers, data scientists, engineers to drive our products forward
- Lead strategy on engagement with the scientific community including publications, IP strategy, scientific partnership agreements, science grant writing and grant execution
- Directly manage personnel science and modeling subject matter experts, including consultants and external collaborators
- Support and enhance a team culture that values inquiry, rigor, and care for each other
- Lead coordination with Product Managers on science and modeling subject matter experts (SMEs) workload and squad time allocation
- Build onboarding strategy and materials and lead onboarding activities for the Science & Modeling team
- Drive coordination with Legal team related to science and modeling IP considerations
- Lead execution of contractor onboarding and contractor coordination for IT and People Team needs
You might be a good fit if you:
- Have successfully run one or more science or project teams from start to project execution
- Have experience in and are passionate about coaching, mentoring, and serving a high-achieving team of science SMEs.
- Are excited to learn about new technical concepts and connecting them to tactical and strategic decisions in a way that is clear to technical and non-technical audiences
- Are self-directed and enjoy supporting people to meet their goals and use time efficiently, as well as figuring out the most important problem to work on
- Own strategic and organizational problems end-to-end, and are willing to pick up whatever knowledge you're missing to get the job done
- Are detail-oriented, and like to get the system working but know when perfection is becoming the enemy of good enough
- Enjoy collaborating across multiple disciplines, including science, product, design, engineering and data science
- Know how to communicate in a remote-first environment
- Have worked with modern web technologies and project management software (e.g., Jira, Confluence); familiarity or experience with Agile systems and matrixed organizations is a plus
- Believe in the model of servant leadership and extreme ownership
- You are passionate about creating a good user experiences
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet.
Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace the unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list above aren’t an exact match… great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- 401(k) plan
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
Applications are now closed