Staff Backend Engineer - Calm Health at Calm
Remote, United States
$202,000 - $282,000/year
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2022 and beyond. Our Calm Health product family focuses on bringing that same transformative approach into the clinically validated healthcare space.
What We Do:
We build and support Calm Health’s secure, scalable, HIPAA compliant, whole health and caregiving platforms. We’re product-minded, team-oriented, and grounded in the mission of making the world a happier and healthier place. We work in fast moving, small pods and as a staff engineer will be expected to gather technical requirements, design and publish technical specs of innovative systems, as well as own building and releasing them into production.
What You’ll Do:
As a staff backend engineer on the Calm Health backend, you will build the platform that our mobile and web apps as well as external partners integrate with. You will work closely with our cross-functional team to ensure our technology is addressing real world problems while being reliable and performant.
- Work with a small team of highly skilled engineers, designers, and product managers.
- Be extremely impactful as a member of a small team.
- Have a eye for security and performance towards systems being designed
- Guide and mentor other engineers in areas that you are a lead in
- Be self-directed with an ownership mindset, completing work efficiently, with minimal intervention from others on the team. Help uncover scope early in order to establish engineering time estimates that guide prioritization decisions.
- Implement designs with tradeoff of between short and long-term flexibility and capabilities
- Work with stakeholders to align on technical objectives, design systems, build them, and deploy to production with proper monitoring and test coverage in a CI/CD environment
Who You Are:
- Minimum of 5+ years experience building systems at scale
- Past experience building apps in highly controlled industries, like healthcare, a plus
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
- Experience working on a team of peers in an fast moving / agile environment
- Demonstrated experience with REST API based microservices design and developing and deploying to a cloud using docker containers
- Previous experience with the following languages/technologies/frameworks (or an equivalent) in a production environment is preferred:
- GCP / GKE
- Relational DBs / SQL
- You have an eye towards security and capable of speaking clearly towards potential attack vectors and mitigations in designs
- A clear understanding of standard authorization and session management designs / protocols
- You’re capable (and excited) to learn new things and are interested in diving into tough problems.
- You know how to leverage the experience of others in order to grow professionally and when to ask for help.
- Experience with providing high level estimates based on complexity and delivering on time and with quality
- You ensure your code is properly unit tested and are comfortable with automation / integration test frameworks.
- Must feel comfortable communicating technical solutions to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- You are a proactive executor and are thoughtful in your approach
- Able to deliver high quality code reviews that reduce defects and support the development of peers
The anticipated salary range for this position is $201,800 - $282,500. The base salary range represents the low and high end of Calm’s salary range for this position. Not all candidates will be eligible for the upper end of the salary range. Exact salary will ultimately depend on multiple factors, which may include the successful candidates skills, experience and other qualifications. This role is also eligible for equity + comprehensive benefits + 401k + flexible time off.
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Applications are now closed