Staff Backend Software Engineer, Carbon Apps at Indigo
Boston, MA or Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
We’re an international agtech startup aspiring to revolutionize a budding industry where agriculture meets technology. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming experts, who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge technologists and scientists on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer. Indigo is extraordinary, and we owe that to the people who make up our community and enable success through the diversity of thought, experience, background, perspective, race, sexuality, gender, age, and everything else that makes a person uniquely themselves. Connected by a common vision and empowered by diversity, we aren’t ordinary, and neither are you. Embrace your extraordinary and join Indigo in cultivating a healthier planet fueled by unique game-changers.
Does fighting climate change through regenerative farming practices at a scale sound interesting to you?
Indigo develops biological and digital technologies that improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. Carbon by Indigo is a scientifically backed program that provides growers with a new revenue stream in the form of verified agricultural carbon credits. Increased soil organic matter or reduced greenhouse gas emissions from practices, such as adding cover crops or reducing tillage, can generate verified carbon credits, which are increasingly in demand by buyers. These credits can then be sold for profit by growers. As a Staff Backend Software Engineer, it is your job to lead the development, scale, and maintenance of Indigo services powering our web and mobile applications.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too. From multigenerational farming experts to product experience experts to cutting-edge technologists, our uniqueness can be owed to the individuals who make up our teams. Connected by a common vision and empowered by diversity, we aren’t an ordinary company, and neither are you. Join Indigo in cultivating a healthier planet.
- Build well-documented and maintainable critical features within new or existing APIs
- Design reliable and high-quality backend systems in the cloud, architecting data flow to APIs to support field scale
- Communicate risks and issues to stakeholders and work together to find a path forward
- Lead projects end to end, from design to implementation to deployment to production support, contributing across functions
- Understands how to build high-throughput APIs and data processing pipelines
- Understands how to design APIs and client libraries that are easy for users to use, while protecting the SLAs of the backend system
- Understands how to build reliable and maintainable systems in a cloud environment
- Able to research and propose new technologies or software patterns to make improvements
- Evangelizes modern software engineering practices, and can speak to the pros and cons of approaches such as microservices vs. monoliths, mono vs. shared repos, containers vs. VMs
- Passion for Indigo’s mission and values
- Can confidently share their technical opinion amongst peers and engineering leadership as well as constructively challenge the opinions of others
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- You’ve been building backend software professionally for 4+ years with a focus on developing internal and/or external APIs
- You have deep experience in one or more modern programming languages (We work primarily in Python, but alternate experience is acceptable)
- Experienced designing APIs, including versioning, isolation and microservices (REST or GraphQL)
- Demonstrated expertise with implementing a variety of datastores at scale (e.g. Relational, Key/Value, Graph, Document)
- Experience implementing monitoring, logging and profiling best practices for distributed systems
- Experience designing and documenting internal and external APIs leveraging a documentation framework (e.g. Apiary, Swagger)
- Experience with deployments to cloud environments (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure)
- Experience with containerization (e.g. Docker)
- Experience with version control (e.g. git, gitlab)
- Can create fast, reliable, testable and documented code that others can understand
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and can achieve timely consensus regarding technical decisions within your team
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and self awareness
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet.
Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace the unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list above aren’t an exact match… great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Generous time off
- Parental leave
- A remote-first organization with flexible work hours
- Catered Lunches
- Commuter benefits
- 401(k) plan
Applications are now closed