Staff Data Engineer, Customer Growth at Planet Labs
United States, Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Come in and help us to build an online data platform to serve our customer needs!
Planet has an unparalleled dataset; we observe the entire Earth everyday. Serving valuable insights with this data is challenging! The customer growth team is focused on helping our customers find value in our platform so that they remain continuously happy customers.
In this role, you will be a critical leader in helping to build and evolve our customer-facing online data platform. This data platform will be used to deliver insights to customers about their platform use, and eventually power the personalization of the customer and partner ecosystem. You will be required to have a sharp product sense, deliver work incrementally, and de-risk hard problems. You will also be required to have a compelling vision for what the data platform can provide regarding customer value.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Developing a vision and roadmap to build a customer-facing data platform that increases Planet’s value for customers
- Executing and de-risking the roadmap to ensure incremental delivery of the online data platform to validate use cases
- Collaborating closely with product and cross-functional stakeholders to gather requirements for the platform and ensure the platform constantly meets customer needs
- Taking part in on-call rotation so as to ensure a stable, 24/7 service to Planet customers
What You Bring:
- Deep experience in building data platforms and infrastructure in a team setting
- An understanding of data platform architectures and a seasoned and pragmatic sense of tradeoffs
- A track record of incrementally delivering engineering solutions that have real customer impact
- An excellent understanding of developer experience as it relates to data, and a strong desire to build an easy-to-use platform by all engineers
- Clear communication skills that resonate with engineers, cross functional stakeholders, and executives
- Experience working in cross-functional teams that put customer requirements first
- A track record of mentorship and growing other engineers
- Adaptability and openness to changes and challenges
- A positive, can-do attitude to work
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Data orchestration systems such as Airflow, Google Workflows, etc.
- Spark, Apache Beam, and other distributed data processing frameworks
- Logging infrastructure and event processing pipelines
- Instrumenting observability and cost monitoring into data infrastructure
- Building beautiful APIs for developer access to the data platform
- Agile software development methods
- Microservice architectures
- Google Cloud Platform
- Geospatial data and algorithm domains
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $156,600 - $243,900. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Applications are now closed