Staff Engineer/ Software Architect at Planet Labs
Germany, Berlin, Remote
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Come in and help us turn Satellite Imagery Data as a Service into reality!
Equipped with near-infrared, and video capabilities, Planet’s hi-res fleet can revisit any point on Earth at 50 cm resolution and sub-daily basis, higher frequency than any other commercial high resolution satellite imagery provider. We build systems and services to manage satellite activities in orbit.
In this role, you will drive the engineering effort on business critical projects, using your years of software architecture and development experience to ensure such projects are delivered on time and in quality.
You will be working closely with engineering teams, providing mentoring and assistance when required to the overall software development effort.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Being a technical leader whilst working closely with engineering teams and product managers to deliver business critical software solutions and products
- Designing and implementing architectural concepts from the ground up whilst aligning with demanding customer requirements
- Taking part in on-call rotation so as to ensure a stable, 24/7 service to Planet customers
What You Bring:
- A positive, can-do attitude to work
- Adaptability and openness to changes and challenges
- Exceptional experience in the field of architecture, development, and deployment of business critical services.
- An ability to communicate and challenge the ideas of your peers in a respectful, open manner
- Excellent development skills in Python
- Understanding of CI/CD concept
- Experience using kubectl, Docker and docker-compose
- Sound knowledge of development and operation methods related to agile software
- Desire to mentor and oversee other software engineers with the view of long-term personal development
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Hosted architectural solutions
- Software security and monitoring
- Deep knowledge of PostGIS
- Agile software development methods
- Microservice architectures
- Google Cloud Platform
- Geospatial data and algorithm domains
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Applications are now closed