Staff Software Engineer, Frontend at Brightwheel
Austin, San Francisco, Denver, or Remote (US only)
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $100 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a highly distributed team supporting fully remote employees across every time zone in the US. We also have hubs in Austin, Denver, and San Francisco. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
We challenge ourselves every day to improve quality of life—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve. We care deeply about how our work enriches our customers now and scales for the future.
We are owners and see our work through. We are growth-minded, we iterate, and we seek to continuously improve. We are pragmatic, and we root decisions in data, logic, and intuition. Yet we value speed and a strong bias for action. We lean into collaboration, assume the best from everyone, and welcome differing opinions. We have audacious goals with a can-do attitude, break down walls to get stuff done, and are resourceful in order to accomplish more with less.
What you'll Do:
- Be a technical lead on a team of engineers, working towards a business goal; ship software that matters to our customers and to our company
- Improve engineering velocity by developing and driving adoption of our core component library; speed building new apps and standardize our visual language across different projects
- Own modernization our frontend architecture to ensure it is scalable, reliable, responsive, and maintainable
- Drive sound, data-driven decision-making; analyze data insights to uncover opportunities to build a frontend that powers a best-in-class user experience
- Implement excellence in engineering process and culture across teams
- Collaborate with product, design, and engineering teams effectively and with empathy; promote technical learning across teams
- Work in a full-stack pod and have the opportunity to utilize, and gain exposure to, technology across our stack
- Mentor junior frontend engineers; build trust and respect in the team
- Interview and evaluate engineering candidate technical capabilities to help grow our engineering team
Qualifications: Technical Skills
- You are an expert at evolving component libraries that developers love to use to build out their apps, while ensuring consistency with standards
- You are experienced at working with RESTful web services, and you’re adept at building with best practices for reliability and performance
- You have experience shipping high performance applications in AWS or equivalent
Qualifications: Essential People Skills
- You make pragmatic technology choices at work and make time to learn in your slack time whenever appropriate. You don’t build science projects
- You care deeply about your work and are aware of how your attitude affects those around you; it’s obvious you’re having fun with your work and peers
- You are humble enough to use frameworks and technologies that aren’t your favorite but won’t have a materially negative impact; you strive to improve velocity with new frameworks and technologies
- You experiment with many different types of development and project methodologies and have a healthy appreciation for what works; you drive engineering process and culture improvements
- You focus on clear and concise communication because you understand it’s the biggest responsibility of your job as an engineer
- You love to teach and learn from your peers
Candidates with varying backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We do not require prior knowledge of technologies in our stack, only a desire to learn them.
Brightwheel offers a competitive compensation package (base salary, equity and benefits) with a strong emphasis on equity-based compensation (ownership in brightwheel). For cash compensation, brightwheel sets standard ranges for all roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In alignment with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the annual cash compensation for this role in Colorado is targeted at $165,000-$205,000. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above. If you are applying from a different location and have questions on the compensation band for your region, please ask your recruiter.
Our benefits package includes premium medical, dental, and vision benefits, generous paid parental leave, a flexible paid time off policy, a monthly wellness and productivity stipend, and a Learning & Development stipend.
Brightwheel is proud to celebrate diversity and is committed to building an inclusive workplace regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Applications are now closed