Staff Software Engineer (Merchant Risk Intelligence & Platform) at Affirm
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
The purpose of the Merchant Risk Intelligence & Platform (MRIP) team is to build functionalities that automate merchant risk assessment, throughout their lifecycle within Affirm. We create the necessary backend platform and by combining it with work of multiple other cross functional teams spanning all of Affirm, enable our ML engineers to build models that help automate decision making. Whether it’s about onboarding a new merchant, or constantly monitoring for trends, our team is responsible for making sure Risk is properly managed and the experience for merchants in the process is as smooth and thorough as possible.
What You'll Do
- Lead the backend stream of the MRIP team to execute on the roadmap
- Design & expand the backbone of our platform to scale from tens to hundreds of thousands of merchants from all around the world
- Work hand in hand with ML engineers to ensure an effective, accurate & explainable decision making process for merchants @ Affirm
- Design and align the scope of work with other teams to deliver cross-team projects
- Mentor and coach other backend engineers to ensure their development & growth
- Work closely with EM and PM to establish and execute the long-term vision of the team
- Work with our Product team to extend our core decisioning service; building new risk and fraud mitigation features
What We Look For
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer
- A strong understanding of distributed systems and how architectural decisions affect performance and maintainability
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Must be proficient in asynchronous mode of communication–written tech specs, wiki, project plans, etc.
- Excellent technical leadership skills – high degree of organization and ability to surface critical information effectively
- Passion for working with multi-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- Kotlin/Java development experience is a plus (AWS, Github, rpc2, Snowflake, Kotlin, python)
- Experience in building the backbone for data driven solutions is also a plus.
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive package, with some highlights listed below. However, the given figures are not guaranteed compensation ranges; rather, they are unbinding, approximate indications of what the salary may be for your awareness. The actual salary may be less than the lower range or greater than the upper range, depending on skills and experience. No employee is guaranteed salary at the amount of the lower range.
- Targeted Gross Monthly Salary: 25 792 - 32 233 PLN
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
Location - Remote Poland
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in Poland.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
[For U.S. Candidates] All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account. The grade for this position is noted above and in accordance with various U.S. pay transparency laws, we provide the base pay range and benefits for our U.S.-based positions in the links below:
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Applications are now closed