Staff Software Engineer - Platform Engineering Team (Data Platform) at Wikimedia Foundation
Applications are now closed
Get more jobs like this straight to your inbox
Staff Software Engineer - Platform Engineering Team (Data Platform)
Our small team is passionate about enabling the creation of new and exciting data products. As part of the larger Platform Engineering team, we are responsible for the Data Platform that enables teams across the foundation to build data pipelines.
We are looking for a software engineer to help us bring the Platform Engineering team to the next level.
We use open-source tools as much as possible, and always open source our own work. Java, Go, Python and Scala make up most of our code, but we value using the right tool for the job. Our world is vast and can be complicated, so we value communication, enthusiasm, and an eagerness to learn.
You are responsible for:
- Collaborating with Product Owners, Engineers and Stakeholders on product discovery and improvements of our existing systems
- Working and communicating clearly and effectively within a small team that spans multiple time zones across the world
- Helping maintain, scale, and extend our Data Platform
- Helping shape the technological direction of our systems working with the Tech Lead and Product Manager to identify solutions for given requirements
- Monitoring system performance and identifying, defining, and implementing internal process improvements and SLOs
- Changing the world for more than half a billion people every month ;)
Skills and Experience:
- You have a good working knowledge of software design principles.
- You have a good understanding of how to scale applications, in terms of load, complexity, and performance.
- You direct your own work and are proactive in asking for input.
- You enjoy writing unit tests, reviewing code, responding to code reviews and discussing architectural approaches.
- You have experience with Java and/or Scala and the willingness to use the right tool for the job. We use Nodejs, Python and Go where it makes sense.
- You are familiar with streaming paradigms and Big Data Technologies.
- You have worked in a Linux server environment.
- You are willing to travel occasionally - sometimes internationally - for team and organizational meetings.
- You are a proficient English speaker and writer.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to the mission of the organization and our values
- Commitment to our guiding principles
- Ability to disagree in a respectful manner and yet work towards a solution even when you disagree
- Good at async communication
- Solutions-focused. The Wikimedia ecosystem is complex, resources are limited, and our guiding principles are ambitious. We want you to work to find solutions embracing these factors.
- Self motivated with an Ability to navigate through ambiguity and bring a project to completion with limited directions
- Curiosity and commitment to learn
Additionally, we’d love it if you have, but these are pluses not requirements:
- Experience working on open source, collaborative development projects
- Experience working remotely
- Experience with NoSQL and traditional databases
- Experience working with tools like but not limited to Kafka, Hadoop, Storm, Flink and Spark
- Experience with an internet software environment operating at scale; for example, messaging platforms that process hundreds of thousands of events per second
- Big thumbs ups if you are a contributor to Wikipedia
Show us your stuff! If you have any existing open-source software that you've developed (this could be your own software or patches to other packages), please share the URLs for the source. Links to GitHub, etc. are especially useful.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Applications are now closed